mustangmike6996

Things are starting to come together

Well... well... wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll......

I finished (at least pretty close to) my American Auto Wire harness install.  

I ran into some issues, harness and equipment was very nice but the instructions lack a bit.  I have been doing some back and forth with the tech assistance line/emails with very little sucess. 

So here were some issues I had, I have the classic update kit (comes with wiring provisions for power window, electric fan, 1 wire alt, electric fuel pump) 

I have the 1 wire alt but am sticking with mechanical pump and stock everything else with the exception of my SPAL cooling fan.

Issues

1: the car comes equipped with aftermarket fog lamp and cooling fan wires.  I will be using the cooling fan, I asked AAW if the electric fan wire was keyed 12V or switched by the temp sender.  They kept telling me it was a trigger wire to control the fan.  So I wired it up, not the case, it runs my fan constantly. 

2: The electric fan wire has a loose end in the engine bay and under the dash.  I had addressed this and I havent had an answer back other than "you shouldnt need to make any electric fan wire connections under the dash, we did the hard work for you when building this kit" same with the fog lamp wire.

Edited by mustangmike6996

Issue (cont)

3: When I keyed on the ignition for the first time, the car did NOTHING (how depressing), found the battery had 12V (good), ground was good (continuity from the neg post all the way to the block and chassis) So I put a test light with a heavy duty clip on the shock tower and stuck the pointed end into a bare intake bolt hole and it lit up....... wait what? yes, it lit up.  I checked and sure enough, I had 12V on the ground side. 

WTF, well I traced it down to a bad starter.  The starter worked fine last season and now decided to crap out.  I ended up swapping the starter for a rebuilt and that fixed the 12v + on the ground issue.  (no nothing was hooked up backwards)

4: Go to start the car (fresh rebuilt engine) and its a crank no start.  Check everything, no spark.  MSD 6A box is toast, sent it to MSD and they fixed it for free.  It had 1 hr of run time on it and blew a few resistors, diodes and capacitors.

5:  Get the repaired ignition box in the car and go to fire it up, cranks, sputters (trying to adjust timing while cranking), a few backfires and then the battery cant spin the engine over anymore.  So the battery tests good but performs poorly when cold (common issue)

So as of now, I have 2 unaccounted for wires under the dash (Fog and Electric fan) AAW cant identify, a weak battery and a lack of motivation. 

Welcome to the world of "debugging" your freshly restored car!

FWIW, from the day I fired my car up for the first time after restoring it, to the moment it was merely back to it's previous (mechanical) glory, it took me 6 months of intensive, depressing, demotivating (and even stressful at times) problem solving. Lots of cursing involved (WTF?, YGBSM! and worse...)

After that point though, things started to get better and better. Kind of a 2 steps forward, one step back phase. Today, the car looks, works and rides better than it ever did. I keep telling my friends I am 99% complete, and all hopes to get 100% have long vanished. Always something that has to be done, or that I decide to do/redo.

Challenging times. Don't lose your motivation!

G

I guess I still have the desire but I think I was being unfair to the car.  Its been about 13 years since I got the car and I have never driven it.  I enlisted in the USMC and served 5 years (just got out in October) so now Im back "home" with my car, well kind of....  Its at a family members house and my current 2 car garage has a 1951 Ford F1 (which is currently getting most of my attention due to the 2 week delay of MSD) and some jetskis on a trailer.  It is nice having 2 garages to work on things as I please but I cant just walk out into my garage to work on the stang, so I have to make a day of it.

I will most likely hit the ground running next tuesday or so.  Battery should be charged/topped off, weather will be warmer and the trucks Cobra engine will be at the machine shop so Im in a bit of a juggling act right now.

Welcome to the world of "debugging" your freshly restored car!

FWIW, from the day I fired my car up for the first time after restoring it, to the moment it was merely back to it's previous (mechanical) glory, it took me 6 months of intensive, depressing, demotivating (and even stressful at times) problem solving. Lots of cursing involved (WTF?, YGBSM! and worse...)

After that point though, things started to get better and better. Kind of a 2 steps forward, one step back phase. Today, the car looks, works and rides better than it ever did. I keep telling my friends I am 99% complete, and all hopes to get 100% have long vanished. Always something that has to be done, or that I decide to do/redo.

Challenging times. Don't lose your motivation!

G

Welllllllll

Since my carb does not have a choke plate on it (at the moment) I have been trying to start it with no sucess.  I FINALLY got it started and it ran great and had good oil pressure.  Oil looks great after the first run on the re-rebuild: 331 stroker, roller cam, 650 double pumper 4 speed.  I wanted to adjust the timing and the timing light took a crap, shorted diode and cracked resistor...... go figure.

I spent a little bit of time messing with the AAW harness and the repop frame rails.

The frame rails dont accept the stock front bumper support brackets due to the upper rail "lip" being at a 45 deg angle instead of upright so the bracket wont sit flush.

The AAW harness has some issues that I have been working with them on (they have been slow to respond) but I have some extra wires (as mentioned above) and some connectors missing (discovered today)

I think that I will putz with the car tomorrow and might hit up the ice arena for some open skating tomorrow afternoon (day off)

Screwed around with the car a bit yesterday.  Had to fix the front frame rail to accept the bumper brackets (new repop) and I cut the fender mounting holes for the j clips in the aprons.  Getting everything ready to start spraying my last couple coats of primer before paint.

While I am waiting on the primer (getting tinited to aid in the paint process).....

I am wrapping up my AAW harness (what a damn headache)

For some reason the gauge feed wire (when connected to the temp sending unit) causes the cooling fan relay to activate.  Remove the guage feed and the fan operates as normal.

I will need to connect my:

heater/blower motor to the heater controls

heater controls

figure out how I want to terminate or hide the hood turn signal indicator wires (deleted the fake scoop to go with the shaker)

figure out about the loose ends of the fan/fog lights (that AAW says I shouldnt have under the dash?!?!?)

Other things:

Set engine timing

reinstall the driveshaft

buy door panels (decided to go with the full panels instead of the half style)

buy center console

buy windshield

rebuild carb/add choke plate and electric choke

figure out what I want to do for a radio and where I want to put speakers in the car.

Labor (upcoming)

Grind front fender contours to enhance clearance at door opening/cowl area (should be easy)

Seam seal the last few spots on the car (mainly the pass rear quarter from the re-re-redo since I wasnt happy with the first couple)

DA sand the entire car with 180 then 320. 

Prime all panels

Block sand all panels

Prime all panels and wet sand.

My cousins just purchased a body shop so I have access to their shop for a booth or I can utilize my former high school auto body class booth.  I still keep in contact with the teacher and I am on the advisory committee for the cirriculum.

Once all of that mess is taken care of its time for final assembly.

Got the distributor curve set up correctly on a Sun 504 machine and then set the engine timing.  Car starts right up and purs.  Revs very nice as well.

Moved from that part of the car to the body.  Currently the car has been DA'ed with #320 grit and about ready for tape/masking and primer.  Block and prime then wetsand and paint.

Have done 2 AAW kits in 2 69's .... The first was my car and it was a Pain to understand, but once I got it figured out it was much easier.

The second kit was in my friends 69 and it went off without a hitch and was MUCH Easier.

The fan wire your referring to is supposed to be just a signal wire as I recall.... Basically just a Hot feed wire to run to the relays or directly to the fan which ever you choose.... I prefer a relay and then use a temp sensor to flip the relays on... Its all pretty simple actually.

I just rolled up all my extra wired, capped the ends and put them back under the dash haha

Well, I am onto wet sanding the main shell of the car. Everything has been sanded smooth, filler and primer.  Block coat turned out nicely.  The last coat of primer looks pretty slick.  I will be spending Superbowl Sunday with some sandpaper and a bucket of water lol

Wow, nice job.  I can see you still have a lot of work to do, but with this done you have most behind you.  It is always great to follow progress like this. 

Thanks, actually there isn't too much work ahead.  I need to get the front and rear glass in, the interior is assembled (except for the outer parts that were removed for paint and the engine/driveline is completed. 

Mostly odds and ends. 

The big ones that are slowing me down are:

Trim-finding all of my new and reconditioned hardware that was taken off of the car in 2002.

Door assemblies- installing all of the window components because the doors were bare shells

Quarter glass-I wasn't the one to remove it so I need to find all of the parts and make some sense of how to install it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Mustang-Mach-1-Boss-Shelby-Cougar-Xr7-RH-DOOR-INNER-LATCH-REMOTE-w-ROD-/162321087152?hash=item25cb173ab0:g:XP4AAOSw5cNYUaoe&vxp=mtr

Thanks, 

I found this one on ebay.  I am going to double and triple check all of my parts.  I have everything from 2 passenger doors except both of those.