Sign in to follow this  
pw520a

windshield glass

All the butyl i ever used came in a caulking tube and was not ment to be a glue but a filler .The earlier mustangs windows are held in place by the gasket and the butyl was just to fill the void between the glass the rubber and the metal lip. After butyl was dropped they went to some slimy junk that would string like snot and make a hell of a mess if you were not careful. The Rope seals that glued the 69 and later glass in worked very well if you prepped the glass correctly,if not it would let go or leak. The problem with the rope seal is you have to put the stops in the bottom of the glass or when temperature rises the glass will slide down as the rope softens.

Don't mistake bedding compound with 3M ribbon caulk, they are entirely different. 69-70 windshields were installed ribbon caulk.

Ribbon is what i have always used for 69 mustang up and 68 up Torino .Never had one let go ,had to replace a couple and they were as tough to remove as the factory glass .The glass shop i bought the ribbon from called it a rope . I do know the glass must be perfectly clean ,not even a finger print or it will not stick.