Sign in to follow this  
pw520a

windshield glass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141418870537?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Is there such a thing as poor quality auto glass? This price seams to good to be true.

That's about right for repro glass. As the 65-68's are as low as $99 for fronts at some shows I go to. I see" Auto City Classic Glass" in MN there at a lot of shows in the Midwest. autocity@att.net

I've been in the auto glass business for 43 years, and unfortunately all the major glass manufacturers have oversea plants. The only wat to really tell if it's made in the states is by the DOT on the glass. This will tell you what country it was made in. The PPG glass fits fine, but I prefer my Carlite.

I used the "rope" (I think its butyl) stuff. two things to note about that. It stays sticky and doesn't really harden. That means that any dirt or debris sticks to it. Also if it gets really hot, then it could possibly let the glass settle (no proof of this). I used some urethane in the corners to combat that potential issue.

i would only buy carlite glass . . $220.00 from npd . . any glass shop can order it.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Mustang_Windshield-498-1.html

if the car you are working on did not use a rubber seal from the factory, i would have a pro install it with urethane . . i have done several and if you do not use enough and get air gaps you need to squeeze some around the edge where the gap is to try and seal it . . it costs around $125.00 to have it installed where i am.

Edited by barnett468

I installed a Carlite front windshield. Well, I had a glass shop install it with urethane. Since the original was installed with butyl plus for some unknown reason I didn't like the urethane. Maybe because I didn't like the installer, I don't know. Anyway, I removed it, cleaned off all the urethane, and reinstalled it with butyl. It's been fine. The butyl is not nearly as messy to work with, but can be stiff on a cold day.

It is best to have two people to install the glass if you do it your self ,the rope seal is what i use but if you set the glass down in the wrong spot you may be stuck with it .Make sure you use the spacer for the bottom of the glass ,it keeps the glass from slowly sliding down over time.

FYI,

A Chinese glass company, Fuyao North America, is in the process of opening a new factory in the old Moraine GM (S10s, blazers) plant. Product scope seems to be OEM glass, but who knows, maybe replacement glass will be made also.

I installed a Carlite front windshield. Well, I had a glass shop install it with urethane. Since the original was installed with butyl plus for some unknown reason I didn't like the urethane. Maybe because I didn't like the installer, I don't know. Anyway, I removed it, cleaned off all the urethane, and reinstalled it with butyl. It's been fine. The butyl is not nearly as messy to work with, but can be stiff on a cold day.

I have a finger guide on my tip and apply the urethane to the glass. You also have to use a high viscosity urethane so the glass won't settle. Stay away from the 3M junk.

When I talked to safe lite glass, they said they don't use butyl anymore. Not sure why.

I haven't seen a glass shop use butyl. Even on older cars that came with butyl like ours. I would have to think its because the urethane is faster to work with. If you have ever watched glass shops replace windshields that uses urethane they typically don't clean off the old urethane. They simply dress it up with some new urethane and install the new windshield. Then use a rag with solvent to clean up any mess.

I'm not saying butyl is better than urethane or visa versa. I think it will come down to your preference.

If you have the glass, its easy to install yourself. That's actually my preference. There are few people I trust working on my cars. The rear glass is fairly easy to install as well.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Glass shops aren't using urethane because it's faster, it's because they would be setting themselves up for a law suit. I could install a windshield with a butyl just as fast as I could with urethane. There are tons of professionals that can't install glass correctly, let alone someone that's never done it before.

Did the windshield on my 79 mustang in butyl years ago. First and only windshield I've done that was glued in. No problems at all, also before the urethane was available. Others were with rubber seal, trucks & buses.

PS: don't get the law suit either.

Glass shops aren't using urethane because it's faster, it's because they would be setting themselves up for a law suit. I could install a windshield with a butyl just as fast as I could with urethane. There are tons of professionals that can't install glass correctly, let alone someone that's never done it before.

Was there some type of law suit related to butyl installed windshields? From the professional glass installers I've seen, they don't clean the pinch weld. They simply leave what is there and dress it up with new urethane. That's where I was thinking the time savings was. I'm sure like yourself, there are some that take the time and pride to do a proper installation.

Was there some type of law suit related to butyl installed windshields? From the professional glass installers I've seen, they don't clean the pinch weld. They simply leave what is there and dress it up with new urethane. That's where I was thinking the time savings was. I'm sure like yourself, there are some that take the time and pride to do a proper installation.

There have been plenty of law suits over the years starting in the 80's. I don't think you could find a glass company dumb enough to use it now days. That's also one of the reasons why I seal between the glass and the gaskets on the 65-68 with urethane. I could care less how Ford did it or how the purist think it should be done.

All the butyl i ever used came in a caulking tube and was not ment to be a glue but a filler .The earlier mustangs windows are held in place by the gasket and the butyl was just to fill the void between the glass the rubber and the metal lip. After butyl was dropped they went to some slimy junk that would string like snot and make a hell of a mess if you were not careful. The Rope seals that glued the 69 and later glass in worked very well if you prepped the glass correctly,if not it would let go or leak. The problem with the rope seal is you have to put the stops in the bottom of the glass or when temperature rises the glass will slide down as the rope softens.