Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

How to replicate factory undercoating

does anyone know if there is a way to replicate the original "bubbly" undercoating?

Thanks,

Dave

exactly where do you want to spray it and why?

it is called "body schutz" and can be had thru auto paint stores and requires a special gun . . there is another product that is purportedly thicker . . the stiff that comes in the aerosol cans is NOT what you want if you want it to look original because it comes out way too nice, lol.

http://www.google.com/search?q=body+schuts&client=firefox-a&hs=RgP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=TA6SVKjRAYyANpSSgtAF&ved=0CBQQsxg

does anyone know if there is a way to replicate the original "bubbly" undercoating?

Thanks,

Dave

exactly where do you want to spray it and why?

it is called "body schutz" and can be had thru auto paint stores and requires a special gun . . there is another product that is purportedly thicker . . the stiff that comes in the aerosol cans is NOT what you want if you want it to look original because it comes out way too nice, lol.

http://www.google.com/search?q=body+schuts&client=firefox-a&hs=RgP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=TA6SVKjRAYyANpSSgtAF&ved=0CBQQsxg

Thanks,

Dave

If other cars were done like mine, I would think you would first need to get really drunk. When applying the product aim in no particular area, making sure full coverage is avoided and vary the distance of the gun from panel by about a foot or two. I'm dead serious.

Bob

Thanks,

Dave

If other cars were done like mine, I would think you would first need to get really drunk. When applying the product aim in no particular area, making sure full coverage is avoided and vary the distance of the gun from panel by about a foot or two. I'm dead serious.

Bob

3M Body Schutz part number 08864.

I use this all the time at work, just did a 67 Shelby gt 500 and used this product.

Just pile it on with your eyes closed and should look pretty close to factory.

You will need a body schutz gun to apply.

3M Body Schutz part number 08864.

I use this all the time at work, just did a 67 Shelby gt 500 and used this product.

Just pile it on with your eyes closed and should look pretty close to factory.

You will need a body schutz gun to apply.

lol, yup...that is the correct "Concours" mehod....

I hope you did not forget to thin the primer out then spray it on your floors really heavy so you can replicate the factory drips then overspray the c__p out of your nice newly primered floors with body color before you liberally, haphazardly apply the undercoating.

Once it looks like total c__p, you know you have achieved the desired affect and are guaranteed not to have any points deducted in that area at the next MCA show you go to.

Also, don't coat your master cylinder or headers to protect them from rust either because if they are not rusty, you might loose points there too.

Oh...and by all means, don't clear or color sand your paint.

Edited by barnett468

lol, yup...that is the correct "Concours" mehod....

I hope you did not forget to thin the primer out then spray it on your floors really heavy so you can replicate the factory drips then overspray the c__p out of your nice newly primered floors with body color before you liberally, haphazardly apply the undercoating.

Once it looks like total c__p, you know you have achieved the desired affect and are guaranteed not to have any points deducted in that area at the next MCA show you go to.

Also, don't coat your master cylinder or headers to protect them from rust either because if they are not rusty, you might loose points there too.

Oh...and by all means, don't clear or color sand your paint.

Edited by barnett468

I was thinking of touching up the original coatings on the underside and rear wheel wells which were done on my car. Plus, i didn't do a full body resto or "frame-off" resto so the original stuff will be around for a while.

Isn't it only in the rear wheel wells? That's the only place my car originally had it and still does. I don't know what the body shop sprayed, I don't think it was Body Shultz. I doubt body Shultz was originally used as the undercoating. But it does have a heavy orange peel finish that might best match the original undercoating. You typically paint over it in the color you want. The first appearance I remember of Body Shultz was on lower rocker panels in the early to mid 1980's.

I undercoated (not with Body Shultz) a few new cars back in the 1980's when I was a GM tech. The stuff was in 30 gallon drums and came out of the spray gun so thick it produced a heavy orange peel finish.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

complicated question . . on deluxe interior mach 1's additional sealer was added to the floor pans at the dealership.

the original wheel well finish is miles away from "textured" it is like black whip cream . . it has heavy waves/runs in it.

the original primer on a 69 floor pan was lite gray if it was from michigan but the factory often added left over paint to it that they dried to make the primer go further, therefore, many orig floor pans have red or purple metallic on them etc..

Edited by barnett468

Contrary to popular belief, very little to none of the undercoating was ever applied to the rear wheel wells. Most all of what you see on the cars today is the crap the builds up over the years that was picked up from the road.

The rear wheel wells were also not painted black, they are body color

Bob

Contrary to popular belief, very little to none of the undercoating was ever applied to the rear wheel wells. Most all of what you see on the cars today is the crap the builds up over the years that was picked up from the road.

The rear wheel wells were also not painted black, they are body color

Bob

the entire undercarriage is primer then all the 69 70 cars i have seen have at least around 70 percent paint on them, so yes the wheel wells did have paint on them but i have never seen one with full paint like the outside of the car would be. in other words, they were not painting the wheel well intentionally to make it look like the outside because if they were they missed a bit of it on a lot of cars. . . obviously some paint will get in there when they paint the inner lip anyway.

yes lots of the undercoating i have seen in these cars including low mile originals and my own 35,000 mile boss 429 and 68 gt500 was extremely heavy as i described . . it was not built up road grime, and the cars from back east might have had more than the california cars . . this is not to say that some have less than others because after all, it was done by hand, and i'm sure that some of the people that applied this may have occasionally had hangovers, but after seeing hundreds of different cars, most of them looked pretty similar from what i remember.

Edited by barnett468

hello . . yes i was fortunate enough tto have had 3 boss 9s . . one was a 35000 mile car with original dried up tires on it . . if i touched the gas it would roast them . . they actually detuned the engines by around 100 hp for production lol.