Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

8" to 9" swap cost question

found a guy on craigslist tonight and made contact about a 9" rear end build. said for a 3.00 Posi with housing and 31 spline axles it would be $1350. this would would allow me to use the brakes i just put on my car a few months back.

that a good cost? Ive been looking at all the places online and everything was well into the 2000 range

found a guy on craigslist tonight and made contact about a 9" rear end build. said for a 3.00 Posi with housing and 31 spline axles it would be $1350. this would would allow me to use the brakes i just put on my car a few months back.

that a good cost? Ive been looking at all the places online and everything was well into the 2000 range

Hello bryonbush

That doesn't sound so bad to me, those 9" with 31 splines are costly, they may as well be made out of gold. I too have been searching for a good rear-end upgrade. 9" rears in my area seem hard to come by and when you do find them as you say they are expensive. I finally settled for a 8.8 explorer and modified it to fit the 69 mach. Reason I went that way was cheap, 3.73 gear (running AOD) limited slip, disc brakes, 31 spline axles, 3-1/4" axle tubes. It had every thing I was looking for except the modifications. Back to your question if this 9" fits your need I think it is a good deal. Just my .02.

Dave

Hello bryonbush

That doesn't sound so bad to me, those 9" with 31 splines are costly, they may as well be made out of gold. I too have been searching for a good rear-end upgrade. 9" rears in my area seem hard to come by and when you do find them as you say they are expensive. I finally settled for a 8.8 explorer and modified it to fit the 69 mach. Reason I went that way was cheap, 3.73 gear (running AOD) limited slip, disc brakes, 31 spline axles, 3-1/4" axle tubes. It had every thing I was looking for except the modifications. Back to your question if this 9" fits your need I think it is a good deal. Just my .02.

Dave

seen your post about your Ford Explorer rear end has me thinking if it would be possible to put a Ford Crown Victoria rear end in my car. I could get a set of those for pretty cheap from work. But from what I've been seeing all the 9 inch rear ends brand new from companies online or way too overpriced

seen your post about your Ford Explorer rear end has me thinking if it would be possible to put a Ford Crown Victoria rear end in my car. I could get a set of those for pretty cheap from work. But from what I've been seeing all the 9 inch rear ends brand new from companies online or way too overpriced

Yes you could probably make about any of the 8.8 work with enough work.

The trucks and full size car 8.8 need narrowing a bit to keep your stock 69 or 70 width of 59-1/2 inches. I settled on the explorer because it is 59-1/2 wide but the draw back is the pinion is offset to the passenger side by 2 inches.

I originally thought that If you push out the axle tubes and swap them you could use the same axles back but put them on the opposite side, well this didn't pan out because that would have put the pinion 1 inch to the other side. So I wound up cutting from the flange back 7 inches on the long side and 5 inches from the flange back on the short side and swapped them. This put the pinion in the center but had to have custom axles made. After all said and done with the cost of the rear end, axles, bearings and seals I wound up with around 600.00 in it.

BTW if you decide to go with an 8.8 I do have a few pictures how I did the tubes that I can post when I cut them and welded them back.

Dave

Edited by det0326

Yes you could probably make about any of the 8.8 work with enough work.

The trucks and full size car 8.8 need narrowing a bit to keep your stock 69 or 70 width of 59-1/2 inches. I settled on the explorer because it is 59-1/2 wide but the draw back is the pinion is offset to the passenger side by 2 inches.

I originally thought that If you push out the axle tubes and swap them you could use the same axles back but put them on the opposite side, well this didn't pan out because that would have put the pinion 1 inch to the other side. So I wound up cutting from the flange back 7 inches on the long side and 5 inches from the flange back on the short side and swapped them. This put the pinion in the center but had to have custom axles made. After all said and done with the cost of the rear end, axles, bearings and seals I wound up with around 600.00 in it.

BTW if you decide to go with an 8.8 I do have a few pictures how I did the tubes that I can post when I cut them and welded them back.

Dave

Edited by det0326

no guarantee on used parts.

unless you have 400 hp or more and a lot of traction like drag slicks an 8" with good gears and 28 spline axles can easily handle it.

if you have a high hp engine, you can not run 3.00 gears . . you need at least 3.23 or numerically higher which would mean another $300.00 in parts.

you also need to measure the width.

no guarantee on used parts.

unless you have 400 hp or more and a lot of traction like drag slicks an 8" with good gears and 28 spline axles can easily handle it.

if you have a high hp engine, you can not run 3.00 gears . . you need at least 3.23 or numerically higher which would mean another $300.00 in parts.

you also need to measure the width.

FWIW. My Trac-Loc was spun when I got my car. So I went to the local PRO GEAR shop a well known and respected outfit the San Diego area. $1,100 later I had a Trac-Loc they had on the shelf, a new 3.25 gear set, completely assembled and installed in my 9" case, 3/4 gallons of gear oil , a small bottle of the FORD additive and new bearings on my axle's. I did the uninstall/re install. I suggest you check with some of the local pro's. They just might be your best bet. Brian

FWIW. My Trac-Loc was spun when I got my car. So I went to the local PRO GEAR shop a well known and respected outfit the San Diego area. $1,100 later I had a Trac-Loc they had on the shelf, a new 3.25 gear set, completely assembled and installed in my 9" case, 3/4 gallons of gear oil , a small bottle of the FORD additive and new bearings on my axle's. I did the uninstall/re install. I suggest you check with some of the local pro's. They just might be your best bet. Brian

id rather find one that i wont have to chop and modify but it seems that i can get truck 9" pretty easily on CL. I wrote the guy back who gave me a quote to see what parts were new. im trying to find a local place that can build what im looking for without spending 2 bills on.

id rather find one that i wont have to chop and modify but it seems that i can get truck 9" pretty easily on CL. I wrote the guy back who gave me a quote to see what parts were new. im trying to find a local place that can build what im looking for without spending 2 bills on.

barnett: i forgot to mention that the whole reason for this is because the new motor im putting in should be around 450hp. I wont be running drag tires or even taking it to the drag races but will probably be letting it rip every now and then. Why wouldnt i be able to run a 3.0 for gears? curious as when the builder was getting the specs on my gears, i told him i had 2.79 so he went with a cam combo that works well with that end.

barnett: i forgot to mention that the whole reason for this is because the new motor im putting in should be around 450hp. I wont be running drag tires or even taking it to the drag races but will probably be letting it rip every now and then. Why wouldnt i be able to run a 3.0 for gears? curious as when the builder was getting the specs on my gears, i told him i had 2.79 so he went with a cam combo that works well with that end.

housing :: 200 to 300 bucks

3 rd member with trac lock::::1000

Alloy axles::::200

1400 to 1500 so 1300 aint that bad if it all new stuff

Do you really need a 9" for your vert????

your 8" will work fine..with a posi..

housing :: 200 to 300 bucks

3 rd member with trac lock::::1000

Alloy axles::::200

1400 to 1500 so 1300 aint that bad if it all new stuff

Do you really need a 9" for your vert????

your 8" will work fine..with a posi..

Im running an 8" ith 2:79's with 275/40/18 tires, they can handle the hp im throwing at it which is around 450hp area. But I dont stomp on the gas, I tend to build up speed then i let em rip which is hella fun btw... lol just sucks that I am going no where fast with my built c4 and low freeway gears, it makes a great cruiser but i wish this car had Posi diff.

for me 9" is very pricey... im just probably going to build my 8" for now since i wont be seeing any drag strips anytime soon.

Im running an 8" ith 2:79's with 275/40/18 tires, they can handle the hp im throwing at it which is around 450hp area. But I dont stomp on the gas, I tend to build up speed then i let em rip which is hella fun btw... lol just sucks that I am going no where fast with my built c4 and low freeway gears, it makes a great cruiser but i wish this car had Posi diff.

for me 9" is very pricey... im just probably going to build my 8" for now since i wont be seeing any drag strips anytime soon.

Are you running an automatic or a 4 speed? 2.79 is a high gear for either one unless you are using it for freeway driving .3.50 seems to be about the best gear for a 4 speed around town and 3.25 for freeway driving .With an auto , 3.25s would be a good gear for around town driving with probably 3.00 for freeway .

Are you running an automatic or a 4 speed? 2.79 is a high gear for either one unless you are using it for freeway driving .3.50 seems to be about the best gear for a 4 speed around town and 3.25 for freeway driving .With an auto , 3.25s would be a good gear for around town driving with probably 3.00 for freeway .

right now im sticking with the C4. Later down the road ill go four speed but running out of money. Most 90% of my driving is long country roads or highways so thats why i want to stick close to the 2.79. Im thinkking about buying some axles and a some form of locking diff and sticking with an 8". if need be ill buy a new gear set. ive got some quotes from some local shops and im looking closer to the $2K mark for a well built 9". from what i see, i can get hardened axles and with a locking diff id still be under $1K for it. thoughts on that?