Sign in to follow this  
331 Coupe

Help with my holley!

Hi guys,

I've been looking at this site for a while and just decided to sign up. I've been having problems getting my car to run while in gear or in idle sometimes as well.

The motor is a 331 stroker with tri y headers, weiand intake, holley 4160, procomp heads (yeah I know), an edelbrock 351 cam, and msd box (not the 6al)

The car hasn't been started in about 3 months and during that time I put in a new gas tank, and changed the pcv system to allow use of a breather. I have ford racing slant valve covers with a breather and a oil cap feeding to the carb on the other side. Before it ran fine.

I've tried to adjust the idle mixture screws and the idle speed screws but to no avail. It idles fine above 1000, but lower it and it wants to die. Put it in gear and it starts choking right away. I was wondering if I should get a rebuild kit and try that as dust may have fallen in the barrels, and I know I have a carb to msnifolf leak as the rpms shoot up when spraying around the base of the carb.

Any ideas are welcome! I'm not too familiar with carbs and this is my first one.

Thanks

Hello

Exactly what carb?

Exactly what cam?

what compression?

what is the stall rating on your torque converter? . . it sounds like it might be too low.

Plug all vacuum ports on carb including pcv . . note if the idle reduces.

lower idle and spray flammable brake cleaner with the long nozzle around the carb base and intake at heads . . if the rpm goes up you have a leak.

tighten intake manifold bolts if they are loose.

Pull your vacuum advance hose and tell us what the timing is and leave the hose plugged until further notice.

Lower the rpm as much as possible.

Advance the timing 4 degrees and see if the rpm goes up and if the engine runs smoother.

If it does, then advance it 3 degrees and see what it does.

Post results.

Edited by barnett468

Ok I will fix the carb gasket leak and try again. It's just weird the car ran fine before I changed to a breather set up.

Cam is an edelbrock Rollin thunder 351w cam part 2281

Carb is a holley 4160 600cfm with vacuum secondaries

Compression is 10.5:1

Do you think a leak could effect the motor that much? Or the carb could be dirty.

Ok I will fix the carb gasket leak and try again. It's just weird the car ran fine before I changed to a breather set up.

Cam is an edelbrock Rollin thunder 351w cam part 2281

Carb is a holley 4160 600cfm with vacuum secondaries

Compression is 10.5:1

I know I have a carb to msnifolf leak as the rpms shoot up when spraying around the base of the carb.

Do you think a leak could effect the motor that much? Or the carb could be dirty.

i did not see this because i read your post on my phone . . yes fix this then do all the tests i suggested no matter how it runs.

you must plug the breather to the carb if it goes to a vacuum port . . if it goes to the air cleaner it is fine.

I got the car running great per Barnetts advice of not running the pcv to the carb directly. However during my spirited drive while cruising after acceleration the car stumbled then died coming to a stop.

Do you think this is an issue of a dirty carb? This is the first time in 3 months the car has ran too.

Also I restarted when cold and the issue still persists.

ok, i would lower the floats slightly.

make sure both fuel mix screws have an affect on idle, if they do not then maube an air jet is plugged . . spray brakes cleaner in all the tiny holes in the throat of the carb using the long nozzle pressed against the jets.

wiggle your throttle shaft . . if it wiggles much it could cause problems.

remove throttle rod.

make sure it will pull forward at least 1/8" past the mounting hole.

make sure throttle closes to proper position.

open throttle all the way . . try to install the throttle rod . . if the rod is too long your throttle has not been opening all the way . . fix it all.

make sure the choke is fully off.

do the timing test and post results.

make sure both fuel mix screws have an affect on idle, if they do not then maube an air jet is plugged . . spray brakes cleaner in all the tiny holes in the throat of the carb using the long nozzle pressed against the jets.

remove throttle rod.

open throttle all the way . . try to install the throttle rod . . if the rod is too long your throttle has not been opening all the way . . fix it all.

remove throttle rod.