Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

Can Radio antenna rod be removed from the base on the fender seperately?

See pic, I want to remove the long rod off the base so i can put my new covercraft cover on the car in my garage. I do not want to cut a hole in my new $600 cover and i simply would like to know if i can remove the thin long rod mast or not. I do not want to make this a huge job if i do not have to.

much appreciated.

The antenna does not come apart nor is easily removed as a complete assembly because the cable is not removable from the antenna base. I have the same situation. My car cover was only $150 so I cut a hole in it for the antenna to pass through. I've seen plastic grommets at NPD to finish and reinforce the hole in the car cover.

Many years ago my antenna broke just above the base. There is enough metal that I was able to drill it fit it over the stud of the remaining antenna on the base. I then drilled a hole in the side of the antenna and used a set screw to hold it in place. This is actually pretty nice, because I can remove the antenna when I run the Mustang through a car wash. So, you could cut the antenna, drill it like I did and then remove it when you want to put the car cover on. The antenna still telescopes. If you would like pictures either PM me or ask for them in the thread.

I HATE that the antenna is on the front fender on these cars. I don't know the circumstances but when I bought my car back in the 80's the antenna was on the rear quarter. This allows you to swap it out for a retractable design, making it much easier to throw a cover on. IMO the antenna looks WAY better in the rear. My understanding is the antennas were installed at the dealer? Perhaps my antenna has always been in the back. You can barely see it in the pic.

2012-03-04_14-35-48_722.jpg

Edited by chillininnh