Sign in to follow this  
RandyBob

antenna location

Are you installing a stock Ford antenna?

A power antenna will be unlikely to fit in a 69 front fender - the bracing and gaps are much tighter and restrictive '69 and up, compared to the earlier models.

I know a lot of folks put them in the rear quarter to ensure easy access (to replace them as required).

I have the stock antenna on my 70, on the passenger fender. There is apparently a Ford dealer template, however most evidence from former Ford employees and mechanics suggests they were rarely used. The location is quite close to the fender edge, not central as you might expect. That is to ensure there is enough room for the lower assembly to fit between the inner cowl and inner fender.

Pic in this link - and the link can make further links with many concourse cars for your reference and assistance.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=search&line=141814219344&pic=/1969/1969_00025_03

also here is a link to a VMF post with pictures of the 'alternate' antenna location on the 69 fastbacks.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/541663-antenna-1-4-question.html

There are a lot of issues surrounding Mustang antennas and there location. I have known many unhappy folks who are original car owners that have had point deductions for their cars not being correct even though it was untouched from point of purchase.

Issue one is all cars were delivered with the antennas in the trunk and they were not all the same, some were round masts and others were tear drop shaped. Most were thrown into a large pile upon arrival to the dealer and then the grabbed and installed randomly. My original was tear drop, the replacement I bought was round, many argue to this day which is really correct.

Issue two as mentioned is that after a while templates weren't even used regularly, location was eyeballed and approximated. Seeing the location in the rear on the Shelby's also had some customers request the same location for their Mustang upon delivery.

I'd be furious if I had an original untouched car and got point deductions for some minor difference a judge thought was incorrect. How can the car be any more correct than that?

When I was younger I worked as a GM tech for 4 years before going to college. And on those all new cars came in without antennas installed. But they had fixes masts that screwed onto the base.

On 1969 Mustangs with manual antennas on the rt. front fender, I've only seen them with a rectangular base and a short non removable lead. The short lead connects to an extension behind the dash such that the dash pad has to be removed to get to it. I can understand leaving an antenna off during transport. But did they go through that effort at a dealer to install the antenna, plus drill mounting holes in a the fender? Like I mentioned, my new fender I purchased from my local Ford dealer came with the antenna holes already in it.

I'd be furious if I had an original untouched car and got point deductions for some minor difference a judge thought was incorrect. How can the car be any more correct than that?

When I was younger I worked as a GM tech for 4 years before going to college. And on those all new cars came in without antennas installed. But they had fixes masts that screwed onto the base.

On 1969 Mustangs with manual antennas on the rt. front fender, I've only seen them with a rectangular base and a short non removable lead. The short lead connects to an extension behind the dash such that the dash pad has to be removed to get to it. I can understand leaving an antenna off during transport. But did they go through that effort at a dealer to install the antenna, plus drill mounting holes in a the fender? Like I mentioned, my new fender I purchased from my local Ford dealer came with the antenna holes already in it.

In the late 70's I worked in a Ford dealer & I had to install the antenna's at the time of new car prep. They were in the cars trunk & they came with the installation template. Every one I did were all the rectangular base antenna's.

In the late 70's I worked in a Ford dealer & I had to install the antenna's at the time of new car prep. They were in the cars trunk & they came with the installation template. Every one I did were all the rectangular base antenna's.

Wow! That's unbelievable. Ford actually left it up to a technician to drill through finished painted surfaces on top of a fender? Did many cars end up in the body and paint shop after an antenna was installed? How much time was allowed to prep a new car for sale when an antenna installation was involved? I was a technician for a Chevrolet Buick dealer in the mid thru late 1980's. On average, depending on the car or truck, only 1 to 1-1/2 hours was allowed to prep a new car or truck for sale (not including cleaning and detailing by the detail shop) Anything that couldn't be adjusted or fixed in the allotted time was moved to a warranty repair. I can tell you, most of the technicians I worked with wouldn't care much if an antenna was installed correctly or not. Partly why I got out. It was a difficult environment for me to work in.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Wow! That's unbelievable. Ford actually left it up to a technician to drill through finished painted surfaces on top of a fender? Did many cars end up in the body and paint shop after an antenna was installed? How much time was allowed to prep a new car for sale when an antenna installation was involved? I was a technician for a Chevrolet Buick dealer in the mid thru late 1980's. On average, depending on the car or truck, only 1 to 1-1/2 hours was allowed to prep a new car or truck for sale (not including cleaning and detailing by the detail shop) Anything that couldn't be adjusted or fixed in the allotted time was moved to a warranty repair. I can tell you, most of the technicians I worked with wouldn't care much if an antenna was installed correctly or not. Partly why I got out. It was a difficult environment for me to work in.

We also had to install roof racks on the station wagons & drill the holes I the roof & install the riv-nuts & then assemble & install the roof rack. IIRC & it has been a long time since I did the new car prep (late 70's) I do not recall messing up an antenna install, & only messed up one headliner when installing a roof rack by drilling through it. I think the prep time was about the same for Ford 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Not sure if this was already brought up, but is there a power antenna that looks stock and can mount in the front fender?

Not enough room in the front fender on a 69/70. The void for the antenna was taken up by bracing and cowl as the car got a little wider, longer and stiffer in that year. No way a standard style electric antenna motor will fit in there.

Power antennas are usually found on the right rear quarter, since there is ample room for the motor assembly in the trunk space.

They all look stock when they are down, in fact, telescoping electric antennas look about as old school as stock fixed antennas nowdays... up or down.

They are quite practical I think.

I don't know why you keep saying there is no way, it's not easy, either the door or the fender has to be removed but it is totally doable. Many vendors sell the electric antenna for these cars and others have modified an 80's t-bird one as well. We have had many past threads on this, this was the most recent one I could dig up.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11590

OK, you are right. If you take a door off, and/or a fender off, you can install an electric antenna in the fender space.

My last effort on a 70 coupe left me with a fender that would not fit back on. By a long way. Maybe there are better fitting and smaller units now.

What is the brand and model that will fit?

I want to just say thanks to you guys for all your help and info Iv been lurking this site for a long time and have learned a lot and enjoyed reading here. I have owned my share of mustangs and cougars I bought the 69 mach 1 I am working on now back in 1981.I was only 19 and paid a whole 1000 dollars. Iv been doing a complete restro with a few liberties (tires and wheels and stance,rear disc brakes).it is a black jade 428cj ram air 4 speed.

It was on the right rear fender when I had it painted I welded up the hole now I want to put in on the front . It's a factory Ford antenna non power.I guess ill try and find the welded up spot under the front fender I was just hoping there was a template so I could be accurate.