Sign in to follow this  
82stangracer

Drivers side exhaust manifold

Well I finally got the engine back in my FB. Can anyone post a pic of a factory manifold and z bar INSTALLED on the car. I need to see the clearances between the 2, along with what the manifold actually looks like. I don't have any exhaust so I'm trying to figure out what I need.

EDIT: Oh yea, its 351w and a 3 speed manual on my '70.

Edited by 82stangracer

I don't have a picture. But my 351w 4sp setup use to have stock exhaust manifolds. There is a lot of clearance. It was a little tight for the exhaust pipe with both clutch linkage and power steering but it fits. Make sure you have the correct exhaust manifold like the one mustangmike6996 shows. Also make sure you get the correct Z-bar for a 351W. Both left and right exhaust manifolds and the Z-bar for a 351W are different than a 302. Most people not familiar with 351W's are not aware the Z-bars are different than a 302.

Ill see if I can did up pic of my Z bar but I have Tri-Ys. Are you looking for a factory manifold or is the pic just for reference?

Looking for a factory set up just for visual aid in parts searching.

Does the exhaust run above the z bar or is that due to the aftermarket z bar bracket in the 1st pic. Thanks for posting the pics!

I don't have a picture. But my 351w 4sp setup use to have stock exhaust manifolds. There is a lot of clearance. It was a little tight for the exhaust pipe with both clutch linkage and power steering but it fits. Make sure you have the correct exhaust manifold like the one mustangmike6996 shows. Also make sure you get the correct Z-bar for a 351W. Both left and right exhaust manifolds and the Z-bar for a 351W are different than a 302. Most people not familiar with 351W's are not aware the Z-bars are different than a 302.

Ok. I don't have power steering.

I was looking at this manifold on ebay but they say it is for an auto trans. It looks like its for a manual trans. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-1971-Ford-Mustang-351W-Windsor-Exhaust-Manifold-LH-Cougar-C9OE-9431-B-/201055262595?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1970%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item2ecfd3d783&vxp=mtr

I didn't know there was a difference. That is the same exhaust manifold I use to have on my 351w motor with a 4sp. I think I still have it tucked away somewhere. I'm hanging on to it in case I ever want to reinstall the stock exhaust manifolds.

351W A/T & M/T Exhaust Manifolds & h-pipe are the same and stay the same for M/S & P/S.

I've got a 351W, Power Disc Brakes, 4-Speed w/ stock 351W Z-Bar & Linkage and completely stock '69 style exhaust system (2.25" BB version) from the manifolds back on my car.

I just looked in my photo file and I don't have any good shots showing how everything fits ... I will say this though, it is TIGHT and I've got stock MANUAL STEERING too !! I thought about adding factory power steering at one point, but that thought did not last long.

Here are the only pics I found of the area ... you can see the MS pitman arm, lower clutch linkage & part of the exh-manifold & h-pipe but not a good view of what you really need to see.

I'll try and see if I can crawl under there and get a better pic this weekend.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me