Sign in to follow this  
Android

My 69 Mach 1 clone dream.

So here goes, after wanting this vehicle since I was about 16 years old I managed to get the money together to start the journey. I found this vehicle in the states and went through the journey of getting it shipped to the UK, which took forever, it arrived in July 14 and since then I have been doing bits and bobs to the car whilst a few unforeseen circumstances nearly stopped the dream in its tracks. However, good things come to those that wait as they say and those circumstances are over so now my focus is on getting this car back to its former glory.

What I have done so far, removed seats, removed hood, removed engine and tranny .... What needs to be done is front torque boxes, front floor pans, and the engine apron joints ....

Engine is currently being rebored and honed, crankshaft grinded / polished amongst other things engine is a 68 302 2V with a C4. Anyway hopefully the weather picks up in the UK and I can continue soon.... Any help / tips would be appreciated!

So here goes, after wanting this vehicle since I was about 16 years old

I have been doing bits and bobs

This particular Mustang? And how old are you now? Bits and bobs? Now that's a new one to me. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey!

Bob

Android, keep the pics coming. You can check out my build log I am working on replacing the r/s torque box on my 69 Coupe.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'll add some pictures soon the ones added was when the vehicle arrived. The previous owner tried to fix the driver side floor pan but has made a meal of it with sealer and patches of sheet metal... Also trying to cover a monster hole in the torque box. Strange thing is he got it all painted in black primer but didn't do the metal work to it surely a waste of money imo. I don't think he even blasted the thing.

This particular Mustang? And how old are you now? Bits and bobs? Now that's a new one to me. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey!

Bob

Bob, I originally wanted a 68 fastback and go down the Bullit clone style after watching the film but then saw this and it was at the right price.

I am currently a few months away from hitting 30 and I always said to myself I will get a fastback before I hit 30 albeit it needs some work :001_tt2::sad:

Hey guys,

Currently am away from the UK had a holiday prebooked since April. I just received an update in regards to my 302 block have been told 2 of cylinders are pretty scored after rebore +30 and +40. So have decided to roll the dice and go to +60. I've attached some pics of the engine and crankshaft rebuilding process.

Any advise of what I should run to keep the temps low once I get it back?

Sorry to hear about the block issues, Android. As mentioned above, boring that much out of this block is risky. Even after you get it back in the car and running, I recommend you keep a lookout for a used block. If something happens to this one, you won't be able to bore it again, for sure.

I agree too, you aren't rolling the dice, you are throwing good money after bad, the eventual outcome is almost certain.

I've never seen more than 1 or two sleeves done on a block so not sure if doing it to all is even possible but would possibly be the next best option?!?!?!?!

Edited by Pakrat

It is a 302 in a '69. You would be well advised to keep an eye out for a replacement engine from a local wrecker. I've seen them for sale in the UK. For what you will spend getting a good engine built, you can buy a crate engine and never have to worry about it. I would not waste time or money on an engine that far gone unless there was a reason to preserve it (ie. numbers).

Hey guys,

Just saw all your replies now as I only recently got back from holiday and have to report that the engine is near enough done should be finished within the week or so. I guess I'll use this engine for the time being and will keep my eyes peeled for a more reliable block in the coming year or so. I will see how it goes and keep an eye on coolant temps when it's in the vehicle.