Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

What are my options for a steering wheel?

I am in dire need of a new steering wheel. I have the "2 spoke" style on the car now. I don't have tilt so its tough to get in and out of the car due to the large wheel.

I like the look of the grant with the chrome 3 spoke/ black grip but have heard the quality is so-so.

I don't want wood and I don't want billet/custom

I would like something that is a bit smaller, not crazy expensive, and looks correct to the interior.

I've heard a lot of folks complain about the Grant as well but I never personally was sure why. I went with the exact wheel you are talking about 14 years ago for pretty much the same reasons and I have never been unhappy about it. The only "issue" if I had to get picky is that the center stud interferes with the horn button ever so slightly and you need to just grind 1-2mm off for a perfect fit. It will go on as is but occasionally the right bump in the road will make the horn button fall off if you don't.

I use the same one as Pak and I have no complaints either. Being I have a blue interior with black accents it looks like it belongs with the interior. The horn button is the only pin in the but part but once on, no issues.

Jim

I've had two Grant wheels and hated them both, bad quality. My favorite wheel was the factory Ford OEM GT wheel that came in just about all Ford cars/trucks/vans from the late 70's to early 80's. it looks similar to the Grant wheel but more durable, is slightly smaller in diameter than the factory wheel that you have now, and you can find these wheels in the vinyl version and leather versions. The only thing that really cost is replacement horn buttons. I got a replacement horn button from CJP for more than I got the steering wheel for.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/silver-horn-button-assembly-1979-1982/p/HBG7/

I found the wheel on eBay and then took fine steel wool to the spokes to clean them up and cleaned the vinyl. Then installed it in my '71 Torino

Best is that the wheel is a direct bolt on with no modifications needed, unlike the grant wheel which requires you to take a hacksaw to the steering rod to cut off the unthreaded portion so their horn buttons don't pop off.

UP34407_L_198a9804.JPG

I don't think they make that one now, I had some older grant ones, but without the holes they had the longer slots, looked ok. I also used to take the grant 4 spoke and paint the spokes to match interiors or the exterior colors.

Im not sure I had any spacers. Maybe 1 on each side. Are you talking about the aluminum ones that slide onto the pedal support?

Yes, those are the ones. Mine had two on each side. I took one out and it raised the steering some and the plastic coverings still looked good.

Jim

I guess it depends mike on if you have other mods on the car, rims ,etc. those ones that myself and grendi posted are kinda reminiscent of the older AC cobra wheels.

+1 on that. :thumbup:

my brother has #1175 in his s-code coupe and i (currently) have #1075 in my restomod.

both fit the style of the car.

I have this one, picked it up on sale @ ebay for 93.99 now 103.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311013459672?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

AS of 12/14/14 back down to 93.99. Virtually the same wheel that someone said that it isn't made anymore. Gawd, why bother helping, if no one takes it seriously.

Edited by Hoover

I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAAS-Retro-Black-Sports-Steering-Wheel-350mm-Wide-Slight-Dish-New-/130742141417?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e70d6c1e9#ht_2201wt_1034

Nice small diameter and has a good hornbutton. It's a touch smaller than the Grant. I did buy the Mustang horn button available from CJ Pony Parts.

Edited by shaun071
didn't finish post

I've had two Grant wheels and hated them both, bad quality. My favorite wheel was the factory Ford OEM GT wheel that came in just about all Ford cars/trucks/vans from the late 70's to early 80's. it looks similar to the Grant wheel but more durable, is slightly smaller in diameter than the factory wheel that you have now, and you can find these wheels in the vinyl version and leather versions. The only thing that really cost is replacement horn buttons. I got a replacement horn button from CJP for more than I got the steering wheel for.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/silver-horn-button-assembly-1979-1982/p/HBG7/

I found the wheel on eBay and then took fine steel wool to the spokes to clean them up and cleaned the vinyl. Then installed it in my '71 Torino

Best is that the wheel is a direct bolt on with no modifications needed, unlike the grant wheel which requires you to take a hacksaw to the steering rod to cut off the unthreaded portion so their horn buttons don't pop off.

Thanks for this post. I like that wheel.

As promised here are a few photos of the Forever Sharp steering wheel I purchased. Love the horn design, and my only complaint is that it feels slightly thin in my hands. I will probably get a wrap for around the rim to thicken it up a bit. I like it.

150108_003.jpg

150108_002.jpg

150108_001.jpg