Ridge Runner

69 -Shelby style

First of all ,Hello.I am new to the site and it will take me a bit to figure things out .

My project is a 1969 M code Mach 1 ,originally a 351 4V ,4 speed .

Plans are to do a Shelby type build ,but not a copy . The body itself is in great condition with no rust and it only had one small dent ...that i made myself :whistling: Don't worry it was very small. The 351 will go back in along with the 4 speed ,i will post pics as i go ,soon as i figure out how .

Edit ... hope this does it .

Edited by Ridge Runner
adding image

Thought you may want to hear how i came to get my 69. I saw it a friends shop one day .I told my friend i would like to build a Shelby replica some day .He said "tell you what ,sand blast a car for me and it is yours ". Went home and got my trailer and loaded it up.When i got home and started to unload it i thought it looked familiar,turns out it was my old car i sold 25 years ago .It looked rough but it was because of several coats of paint and primer that was peeling. After blasting my friends car i starting sanding the paint from the quarters and the roof ,and if i hadn't tossed a body saw and had it bounce up on the roof it would have been dent free.After mounting it on my rotisserie and blasting the rest of the car i couldn't believe how straight and rust free it still was after all those years .It is mine again and it will stay that way this time.

While still on the rotisserie ,i fit the end caps and deck lid .I couldn't fit the tail panel with the car on the rotisserie. The end caps needed a slight bit of sanding on the the mounting surface to get the caps to pull up tight ,but the fit to the top and side to the quarter was almost perfect . the deck lid was pretty much bolt on and done.

I sprayed the floor with bed liner ,for a little extra sound deadening and rust proofing .I used Rustolium bed line from Walmart ,it can be bought in gallons and sprayed with a gun .It is a two part mix and very tough ,but takes a while to set up .It is quite a bit cheaper than Rhino and looks just as good ,and you get about a quart more .

I also fit the side scoops while on the rotisserie ,they look great .

I decided to Block sand the roof and the quarters on the rotisserie ,you can turn any spot right in front of you so no bending over to work .After blocking the epoxy, the roof and quarters were perfect . I sprayed some Ultra fill on the roof and top of the quarters and block sanded one more time .The body is finished and ready to come off the rotisserie .I used my lift to get it off the rotisserie ,just unbolt ,lift the car and roll the rotisserie out .

Fitting the tail panel was next .I bought the panel with made in buckets ,but i had the T Bird buckets and wanted to use them so i trimmed out the buckets so the T Bird buckets would work. I bought the new Ford lenses and trim rings .I had to scrape some flashing from the lenses to get them in ,but the frames had a belly in the long sides and would not go in at first .I carefully squeezed the middle in until the sides were straight and they fit right in place. After fitting the lights and bolting the tail light panel in place ,i put the end caps back on and sanded across the deck lid and end caps .I had to straighten the line across the bottom of the end caps and and the deck lid just a bit .I made sure all the bump stops were in place and the seal was in place before flush sanding the pieces .I removed the deck lid and end caps and primed them and bolted them back in place .The trunk lid and end caps line up perfectly ,nothing sticks above or below and a nice flush fit at the end . Started in on the rear valance and exhaust out let next .

I had actually fit the rear valance while the car was still on the rotisserie .I used the ford tooling valance but it was about 1/4 inch short .I took a copper plate and placed on the back edge on each side of the valance and with my wire feed i filled in the edges ,trimmed ,and ground smooth the edges.The gap is actually tight to the body ,the studs are not tight in this pic.

I lost the pics of the exhaust collector ,but i have one of it installed .The collector part under the valance just barely clears the rear shackles .IMG_1767_zpse38ad3b2.jpg?1417368123818&1417368148656IMG_1768_zpsc38dd38d.jpg?1417368123817&1417368148655IMG_0265_zpsc0025533.jpg?1417368123818&1417368148656