murphsmustangs

1969 mustang clock wiring

I am finally reassembling my 69 Mach 1 that I started 18 years ago and am in the process of hooking up the wiring.

On my clock I have a double plug on the clock and one on the map light which I believe plug together but there is also a triple plug on the clock harness that I cannot find a connector on the dash harness to the dash. Am I missing something? Also the map light has a single female black connector but on the dash harness on that all I can find are several other female single connectors, no male ones.

Also I am putting in a console and the car originally didn't come with. Where can I hook up the wiring to under the dash. It has a double plug. I also would like to do it without splicing into the wiring. Is there plug adaptors available the would convert a double plug under the dash to split into two double plugs one of which goes to original circuit of whatever one I can use, and the other plug to the console wiring. Thanks for any help on this and I will probably have many more questions in the future.

You start at the driver's side harness where there is a double plug (green/yellow and black wires) and a single female bullet (blue/red). You plug those into the map/clock harness mate and go from there.

Can you describe your console wiring with colors? There's little in the way of documentation available for this, but I can help out if I know what wire colors are there.

Thanks for the reply. You lost me when saying going to the drivers side and going from there. The clock wires aren't that long. I think I have figured it out. Let me know what you think.

Instead of looking for the mate to the triple plug from the clock as at first look is what the diagram shows I believe the double plug from the map light plugs into one side of the triple plug and the single plug (ground) from map light plugs into the remaining terminal of the triple plug. Then the double plug from the clock harness will plug into the double plug at the glove box area.

As far as the console goes there is a blue with white wire which will plug into the original dash connection which is blue with white for the lighter. The other wire is blue with red that terminates into a single male plug and another wire comes out of the bottom of this plug the same color that terminates into a single female plug. It is these two connectors that I need to know where they go and if just one is used or both.

I think the terminology is confusing, so let's start from the beginning.

On the main underdash harness near the passenger side door is a two prong plug (green/yellow and black). On a 69, there's a single female bullet (blue/red) nearby; on a 70 one has to use an extender from the three prong plug near the center. These three wires plug into a three-prong plug with matching colors that is the clock/map light harness. Out of that harness comes a two prong plug (green/yellow and black), and a "T" shaped connector that accepts spade leads (clock), and two lamps. The two prong plug on the clock/map harness mates to a two prong plug for the map light and glove box switch.

The blue/white wire for your console is your cigarette lighter wire that powers the rear console lighter. The blue/red wire is the light for the rear console. The female bullet is for another light if needed. Use the male bullet and you can leave the female bullet alone.

Ok, this is where I am at. I have all the plugs connected. Now I have a black wire from the map light sw. ending in a single female connection and I have two black wires coming out of the door jamb sw. ending in a single female connector that have no place to connect to.. I need connections for the under dash light. Also for the door courtesy light and rt side pillar light which are colored blue and black. I have no connectors in this color coming out of the dash harness. I do have one on the left side.

Also as this dash has a map light, was there no need for a glove box light?

It would probably be easier if I could discuss this on the phone. 541-788-0518 Mike

Edited by murphsmustangs

I have installed two map lights in my 69 and 70. Both were reproductions with copies of the harness. The plug has a live and an earth, and the 'extra' black wire with the female connector is another earth, used to make the circuit when the glove box door is opened - turns the map light on.

The switch on the map light allows for you to turn the light on manually. that makes the circuit via the two wires in the plug.

When you switch to the other position it requires the door to be opened to make the circuit.

You need a single pin switch, if you don't have one you can get them at any auto parts store. The position to install it is to the LEFT side of the glove box door, in the dash frame. There is usually at least one pre-drilled hole - about 1/4 inch - in that frame to allow fitting. Simply attach a male plug to the end of the single wire coming from the switch into the female connector.

By installing a map light you do not need the glove box light. The map light turns on when you open the glove box anyway, and lights up the glove box - better than the glove box light too.

The door jamb wires and plug have no place in the map light wiring. They depend on the door jamb switches to turn on. Either door switch will turn on both door lights, and so they must join the drivers side wiring, and the door jamb switch.

Might need to keep looking and comparing side to side. I have not had to work on those. Yet.

Thanks for explaining the glove box light. I still cannot figure out the interior lights. In picture No. 1 From the rt side door harness I have plugged into one of the two single connectors the long wire which runs back to the rt side pillar lt. Picture No.2 shows the rt. door jamb switch with one connector with two black wires coming out of its harness. There are no other connectors on this side. In picture No.3 and 4 shows one of the two connectors from the door harness plugged into the only single connector from the dash loom. Picture No.5 shows a wire extension that I believe will hook into the rt. side door harness and go up and not quite 1/2 across the dash. If this is correct there should be another harness connecting to this one going the rest of the way across the dash to connect into the other Rt. side door harness connector. If that's the case I am missing that wire.

If my conclusion is not right then I am lost.

Then, I still need connections for the two under dash courtesy lights???

Sorry couldn't post photos.

Edited by murphsmustangs

Problem solved, I found that the two wire into a single female connector were not black like I thought and after removing some tape found them to be the correct black w/blue. That gives me my cross over to the left side. Also found that I am missing a connector on the wire to the pillar light. It had been shorted in the past and only the one connector was left. Now all I have left is to figure out what the wire I have left over is for. It is black w/blue for interior lighting about 2' long with a single male connector on one end and a double plug on the other with a ground connection on the other side of plug. Thanks for every ones help.

I have a 70 mustang 3 pin switch has red witch is hot, blk. 2 greens on 1 pin, 1 of the green ones is burnt off ,where do the run to?? I have no power to the red wire but power to both sides of the fuse!

Edited by DALE
added