Sign in to follow this  
mustangindia

Valve Spring issue

Hi,

In the midst of rebuilding my engine, 351w, and have a valve spring issue.

My car is in India, and sometime in its past, the engine work was done. As parts were not easily available then, I feel that whosoever did the work replaced the valve springs with something easily available and close to size - the ones in my car are: Springs with dampers - Install height 1.78", Int Dia 1.007", Ext Dia 1.456"

Now these don't match up to stock, except install height. Can I just return to stock single springs like Edelbrock 5882?

I am running a stock cam, SS valves and roller rockers.

Thanks for the help

Stock cams don't put much demand on valve springs, and if you go with too stout a spring, you risk pulling out the press in studs.

Matching the factory spring rates for the cam is the most important consideration if changing.

The information given is not enough to know if you're valve springs are correct. You should look at your install height just to make sure it doesn't need shims. Also you should find out your spring pressures. Without knowing those things and your cam specs you can't determine if your valve springs are correct.

david

I agree, have a spring checked. I'd always use a single spring with a damper over a single spring without a damper if the spring rate, seat load and open load is correct for the application. Believe or not, in a pinch I've checked spring loads with a bathroom scale on a drill press and using a steel ruler for measuring lengths. I've been within a few pounds of what the machine shop measured.

I agree, have a spring checked. I'd always use a single spring with a damper over a single spring without a damper if the spring rate, seat load and open load is correct for the application. Believe or not, in a pinch I've checked spring loads with a bathroom scale on a drill press and using a steel ruler for measuring lengths. I've been within a few pounds of what the machine shop measured.

That is genius!

Hi,

In the midst of rebuilding my engine, 351w, and have a valve spring issue.

My car is in India, and sometime in its past, the engine work was done. As parts were not easily available then, I feel that whosoever did the work replaced the valve springs with something easily available and close to size - the ones in my car are: Springs with dampers - Install height 1.78", Int Dia 1.007", Ext Dia 1.456"

Now these don't match up to stock, except install height. Can I just return to stock single springs like Edelbrock 5882?

I am running a stock cam, SS valves and roller rockers.

Thanks for the help

Not sure if you did this but I would do the following. You have enough information to calculate the spring rate. You need the free height also. Calculate the V closed and V open force to determine if it is correct. If not go buy the stock springs.

Thanks for all the replies.

Measured the springs they are - seat pressure of 80 pounds and open pressure of 150 pounds.

I asked Summit, they suggested http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-2500100

Its expensive, considering the freight and duty I end up paying.

Any help, should I just go stock, seeing as the rest of the internals are more or less stock. I can't really return any wrong part, as re-export is another expensive and headachey affair.

Thanks for the help.