Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

Need help on where to ....

Add a second coolant temperature sensor on a 351c. I have installed an electric fan with "Painless" temperature sensor and wiring harness. It has 2 male leads on the sensor. One being used for a ground and the other goes to a relay to turn on and off the fan at temp. Do I add a "T" fitting to one of the heater hoses and use that for my dash temp gage? Or is there a better solution. If I were to install a "T" fitting, does anyone have a suggestion for what I need? Or is there somewhere else on the block that I can install the 2nd sensor?

Chris

Get this thermostat housing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-84868/overview/make/ford

(Double check to make sure that will fit, I searched for 351 C but in the "applications" tab, it says it fits Windsor, cleveland, and 385 big block series.)

There are also different designs with fittings in them. Just stay away from the chromed, O-RING style housings. They will warp, they will leak. Stay with cast iron, cast aluminum, or billet(if you feel like throwing away money on something over priced)

It will only read once the thermostat opens, but that shouldnt cause a problem as the fan should turn off before the thermostat closes again.

You can also install the fans sensor in place of the stock sensor, and move your stock sensor to the thermostat.

Dont use a T fitting as most temp sensor wont be deep enough in the t fitting to have any coolant flow across it for accurate readings.

Edited by j69302

No worries - I also bought a nifty fused relay block that mounts on the fender well that regulates power to it. Very clean look for cheap. I am running a low profile Spal pusher in between the radiator and the condenser. It is a close fit. You probably already know this but you definitely want to run any electric fan loads thru a relay.