Sign in to follow this  
Beef8655

1969 Mustang Coupe Tire Width

Hey I have a 1969 Mustang Coupe that I am Restoring I have been thinking alot about the tire width that I want I might go with 255 I would like to see how it looks. Could anyone post Pics of Thier Cars with tires 255 and up? very much apreciated.

Here is my 70 coupe with 275's on a 15 inch Ansen (10 inch wide rim) I have a shortened rear axle (3 inches) but 275 fits. I would say that is the max for the 69 and 70 rear wells.

IMG00447-20120912-2107.jpg

IMG00452-20120912-2119.jpg

IMG00501-20121208-1433.jpg

The 255 is a great choice. I have another set of Magnum 500's for that coupe and I think a nice tire for the rears is the 255/60/15. I have that on a 8 inch wide rim, and it fits nice.

Fitted with a junk tire, but you can see how it looks. No rubbing, and over 3000 miles highway and city driving. No issues.

IMG00987-20131225-2332.jpg

As you can see, my coupe is not lowered.

IMG00671-20130625-0422.jpg

Well both the front and rear. I was thinking of going with a 18" wheel I did do a mini tub so clearance is not an issue on the back. I want to have a good stance on the car without spending the big bucks on the really wide tires. Also if I want the tires to come out all the way to the wheel wells what backspacing and offset should I get on the wheels.

Thanks so much for your help.

rwcstang I really like the stance on your car. What size tire and wheels do you have it on? what backspacing and offset?

thanks for the compliment!

I have SOT Coil over conversion with vintage venom brake kit. The brake kit requires me to use 99-04 Mustang wheel/offset/BS. Wheels are 18x9/10 245/40 & 275/40. I recommend rolling your fenders if you looking for this type of stance.

Thank you so much. So you still have the stock axle width? So if I order a wheel to a 99-04 mustang they will stick out right to the fender?

yes, axle width is the same and Im using leafs in the rear, BUT you will need a spacer or an adapter if you are going to use 99-04 wheels. the brake kit that I have has a spacer that rides between the rotor hat and hub with longer wheel studs.

if you use the 99-04 wheels with out the the wheel spacer, your wheel would hit the upper control arm.

as for width in tires, i know you can fit is 315's with no mods, one of our members here has that setup.

RWC he also has a custom set of expensive wheels to make those 315's sit under there.

You can run the 99 and up wheels and get the 305 in there however.

and they are cheap

really? I thought they were 99-04 17x10.5 bullit wheels. but i could be wrong.

really? I thought they were 99-04 17x10.5 bullit wheels. but i could be wrong.

I am running a 18X10 Bullitt with a 305/35 with little issues. It was a nitto drag radial so it was a little on the small side.

Recently dropped to a 285 tire as I would scrap every now and then on large bumps with the 305.

RWC he also has a custom set of expensive wheels to make those 315's sit under there.

You can run the 99 and up wheels and get the 305 in there however.

and they are cheap

MikeStang, would you mind sharing your offset/ bs along with your wheel brand? I got coil overs, 4 link and cut lips. I don't mind paying for wheels if need be.

well i guess my biggest question now is... What offset do i need to have the wheels go right up to the fender and quarter panels? I am going to roll the fenders and quarter panels. On the backspacing I have plenty of room I did a mini tub.

Thanks

5.5" is probably dead center on 9" rim but you can play back and forth easily by .5 depending on how tucked in you want them, more with a mini tub.

The best thing to do is mock up and measure (several times) or invest in something like a Percy Wheelrite or build a DIY version of one.