Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Want pics of clock & instruments bezels

I'm refinishing my plastic instrument bezels (Mach I with the wood grain skins). The wood grain parts were easy & look great. I'm trying to figure out just how the trim is supposed to look. It looks like the front surfaces of the rings are chrome? Sides are satin black? Around parts that are close to the speedo etc. it looks like flat silver over chrome. Any pics out there that show what it is supposed to look like? Sorry but it's kinda hard to describe in words what I'm talking about. I can take pics to clarify if it would be helpful.

the entire bezel is "chromed" . . the exposed sides around the wood are matte black with a thin chrome line . . the inner and outer ring faces are chrome . . the inside sides next to the gauges is argent silver or dull aluminum kinda gray.

photo shamelessly plagarized from the tachman site.

mainroot.jpg

Edited by barnett468

ksquared,

You have the paint scheme correct. Get ready for hours of masking. After it is finished there are only thin lines of exposed chrome. Little tip when painting. After hours of masking, before you spray color, spray a coat of clear and let it dry as you normally would. It will l help seal the tape edges and if any bleeds through, it will be clear. SEM has a few different clears for interior plastic trim. In my opinion, the finished product still looks better than an after market bezel and gauge setup.

I don't think there is a DIY kit for plating plastic. I think it's some type of Mylar coating.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Here's a pic of what I have. Under the flat silver it appears to be chrome but I don't know what condition it is in. Yeah, this job is 98% masking & surface prep and 2% painting. Problem is that I'll see the slightest flaw in an otherwise perfect finish. (Sorry - haven't figured out how to imbed an image in a post)

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/mustang/misc/bezel.jpg

Here's a pic of what I have. Under the flat silver it appears to be chrome but I don't know what condition it is in. Yeah, this job is 98% masking & surface prep and 2% painting. Problem is that I'll see the slightest flaw in an otherwise perfect finish. (Sorry - haven't figured out how to imbed an image in a post)

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/mustang/misc/bezel.jpg

hello;

sorry but i don't understand your point.

Anyone have anything to add on getting these dash pods replated? I know we discussed this in another thread but I was looking for an update. I know Tac Man is one solution I mentioned and then another person on this forum was going to start doing it.

Thanks,

Dave

ksquared,

It's just as barnett468 mentioned and your picture shows, flat silver where it currently is and not chrome. In my opinion most are left chrome (1) because of the masking labor, or (2) they haven't seen a bezel that still has the original flat silver paint in that area. Again, when it is finished only thin chrome edges that are exposed. The clock bezel has the identical paint/chrome scheme.

For replating, I would call Perogie Enterprises. They can give you the contact info for the plating company they use. Otherwise, there are now reproduction bezels. But if you're like me, I prefer a fairly good original over a shiny new reproduction part.

its called vacuum metalizing . . look up on the internet who does it . . mr g's in texas did a lot but i have not heard good things recently.

Thanks, I didn't want to be the one to say anything. I'm pretty sure Perogie's knows of others that they use.

the entire bezel is "chromed" . . the exposed sides around the wood are matte black with a thin chrome line . . the inner and outer ring faces are chrome . . the inside sides next to the gauges is argent silver or dull aluminum kinda gray.

photo shamelessly plagarized from the tachman site.

mainroot.jpg

Is that a restored cluster??? It looks AMAZING!!!!!!