Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Dash Pad Cover Idea-Who would be interested?

So now that I am without a project car I have been going stir crazy with the free time that I have on my hands. I have come up with an idea and would like to get feedback from the forum on interest and to gauge a demand to see if it would be worth my time to pursue.

I am thinking about starting to make custom dash covers for Mustangs. I will create templates using an OEM dash pad. The covers would be made out of a durable vinyl/pleather material and would be stitched using French seams. French seams are the double stitching patterns that you see in modern and high end luxury cars. I would offer different thread colors as well for the customer to choose from.

The customer would keep their OEM pad and fill in any cracks and sand the surface smooth. Then I would send only the covers ready to be installed with simple installation instructions. This allows you to keep the OEM dash pad, that we all know fits much better than the aftermarket options, and get a custom upholstered look as well. This also prevents having to mail dash pads back and forth and cut down on expensive shipping charges. I would test fit each cover using the OEM pad that I would have on hand to ensure fitment before sending it out.

My price point right now would be about $250 shipped (within the lower 48). This is significantly cheaper than aftermarket pads (that are notorious for fitment issues) and not terribly expensive compared to the cheap $99 plastic cover lay options.

What are you thoughts, good, bad or indifferent?

I don't have any examples, because I haven't started this yet. Still in the discovery phase. But here are a few pictures from the net that shows basically what I am talking about. I would also offer matching covers for the lower dash side panels and radio side panels.

The idea is to get the custom look via mail order and at a fraction of what it would cost if you took it to a custom upholstery shop. Of course this means in order to save some money the customer would have to install the cover themselves, which wouldn't be difficult.

Edited by Big Secz

There is a lot that is involved in just being able to do this. For example you can't use just a generic sewing machine. Need to use an industrial double needle sewing machine and those are not cheap by any means. That's why I'm trying to gauge interest before delving into it.