Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

Master Cylinder Woes

master cylinder is going out.... well after @ 500-600 miles the master cylinder from O'riley auto parts seems to be going out... the brake pedal return is very very slow to return.. and eventually doesn't return.... the same reason why i took the first brake booster/master cylinder back to Advance Auto... and went with O'Riley... the Advance Auto unit was DOA upon installation.. never worked.

The O'Riley unit has been working great... brakes have been amazing...!

all that to say.. i just sent an email to Wilwood to verify a part number for a Wilwood master cylinder that will work with my stock brake booster... similar to Wilwood 260-9439-P

any suggestions on a wilwood or similar unit.. let me know...:biggrin:

master cylinder is going out.... well after @ 500-600 miles the master cylinder from O'riley auto parts seems to be going out... the brake pedal return is very very slow to return.. and eventually doesn't return.... the same reason why i took the first brake booster/master cylinder back to Advance Auto... and went with O'Riley... the Advance Auto unit was DOA upon installation.. never worked.

The O'Riley unit has been working great... brakes have been amazing...!

all that to say.. i just sent an email to Wilwood to verify a part number for a Wilwood master cylinder that will work with my stock brake booster... similar to Wilwood 260-9439-P

any suggestions on a wilwood or similar unit.. let me know...:biggrin:

my personal experience is run from wildwood. run far far away. I had to threaten legal action against them to get my money back from them. 4, 4 billet MC's I got from them failed in less than a year. one broke while I was bench bleeding. I'm running a napa MC and so far so good. it's been over 8 months now.

my personal experience is run from wildwood. run far far away. I had to threaten legal action against them to get my money back from them. 4, 4 billet MC's I got from them failed in less than a year. one broke while I was bench bleeding. I'm running a napa MC and so far so good. it's been over 8 months now.

WHOA.... wow.. i was running towards them... just sent them an email this morning to verify part numbers to replace my stock PDB MS with a Wilwood unit...

well i want a quality unit... geez this is disheartening... I had planned on ordering the NAPA unit being that it is 51.00 vs the Wilwood 100.00 units... so i can get back on the road safely.

WHOA.... wow.. i was running towards them... just sent them an email this morning to verify part numbers to replace my stock PDB MS with a Wilwood unit...

well i want a quality unit... geez this is disheartening... I had planned on ordering the NAPA unit being that it is 51.00 vs the Wilwood 100.00 units... so i can get back on the road safely.

like I said, my personal experience, the first two contaminated my entire system, the third the spring broke on while bench bleeding, and the fourth had a gradual seal failure that almost led to total failure. plus, some how I managed to cook their "hi-temp" brake fluid with no track or racing. the only thing of theirs I did keep was their proportioning valve.

I have never had any problems with napa mc's, plus I think they may be lifetime warranty on the napa where as the wildwood is only 90 days at most.

like I said, my personal experience, the first two contaminated my entire system, the third the spring broke on while bench bleeding, and the fourth had a gradual seal failure that almost led to total failure. plus, some how I managed to cook their "hi-temp" brake fluid with no track or racing. the only thing of theirs I did keep was their proportioning valve.

I have never had any problems with napa mc's, plus I think they may be lifetime warranty on the napa where as the wildwood is only 90 days at most.

There is not a willwood master cylinder that will work with the stock booster and fit unless you cut or remove the shock towers.

I just went through this on my 69. I ordered the MC from summit and it was longer than the stock one and would not fit between the booster and the tower.

I called willwood and was informed that was their shortest MC they made.

I ended up installing a Tuffstuff booster. The one that is like the boss429 uses.

New Crome unit was about $200. The booster works great. Bolts into the stock holes. The master cylinder works great and fits well with the Tuffstuff booster.

What it took to install.

The tuff stuff booster had one of the studs that was a little too long and caused an interference. Cut a little off of it...done

The master cylinder will work with manual or power. For power you have to install a slug into the piston of the MC. The slug is too long for use with that booster and you can't leave it out. Did some very carefull measuring with a depth mic. And a little calculation and I figured out how much I needed to shorted it. Used the lathe to shorted it but could have used a hack saw and a file. Then you test install and adjust the rod coming out of booster.

Sounds harder than it was but it needs to be done.

If you need more information you can always call me

Bob

There is not a willwood master cylinder that will work with the stock booster and fit unless you cut or remove the shock towers.

I just went through this on my 69. I ordered the MC from summit and it was longer than the stock one and would not fit between the booster and the tower.

I called willwood and was informed that was their shortest MC they made.

I ended up installing a Tuffstuff booster. The one that is like the boss429 uses.

New Crome unit was about $200. The booster works great. Bolts into the stock holes. The master cylinder works great and fits well with the Tuffstuff booster.

What it took to install.

The tuff stuff booster had one of the studs that was a little too long and caused an interference. Cut a little off of it...done

The master cylinder will work with manual or power. For power you have to install a slug into the piston of the MC. The slug is too long for use with that booster and you can't leave it out. Did some very carefull measuring with a depth mic. And a little calculation and I figured out how much I needed to shorted it. Used the lathe to shorted it but could have used a hack saw and a file. Then you test install and adjust the rod coming out of booster.

Sounds harder than it was but it needs to be done.

If you need more information you can always call me

Bob