Sign in to follow this  
Zipppo

Conversion question

I have a 1970 sportsroof that has been in my garage for many years now. I want to build a 1969 Boss visual exterior look alike out of it. So being a 70 the side quarter scoops do not exist so that is one item not to worry about. Next I know I need to swap tail light panel and tail lights. The question is for the nose. What do I need to get from a 1969 to convert the front? The wiring harness from the firewall forward, fenders,headlight buckets, grille etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1970 sportsroof that has been in my garage for many years now. I want to build a 1969 Boss visual exterior look alike out of it. So being a 70 the side quarter scoops do not exist so that is one item not to worry about. Next I know I need to swap tail light panel and tail lights. The question is for the nose. What do I need to get from a 1969 to convert the front? The wiring harness from the firewall forward, fenders,headlight buckets, grille etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Front fenders are different, & so is the front valance. The 70 fenders have the side lights in the fenders & the 69 has them in the front valance. You will need, ft fenders, fender extensions, grille, grille surround trim wide & narrow, & the head light trim. I think that is all. BTW the hoods are the same except the 70's IIRC have a larger hole on the under side to acomidate the twist lock where the 69 hood had smaller hole for the hood pins.

Front fenders are different, & so is the front valance. The 70 fenders have the side lights in the fenders & the 69 has them in the front valance. You will need, ft fenders, fender extensions, grille, grille surround trim wide & narrow, & the head light trim. I think that is all. BTW the hoods are the same except the 70's IIRC have a larger hole on the under side to acomidate the twist lock where the 69 hood had smaller hole for the hood pins.

you can readily fill the holes in the 70 fenders if you are wanting orig parts. a pair of perfect 69 fenders is worth around 700.00 each where i am. the marker lite holes on the valance are easy to cut out if you want originals of those too.

you can readily fill the holes in the 70 fenders if you are wanting orig parts. a pair of perfect 69 fenders is worth around 700.00 each where i am. the marker lite holes on the valance are easy to cut out if you want originals of those too.

You can not interchange 69 and 70 fenders as far as headlight bucket fitment.

1970 Fender

16005KR_std.jpg

1969 Fender

16005GR_std.jpg

Edited by maxum96

You can not interchange 69 and 70 fenders as far as headlight bucket fitment.

1970 Fender

16005KR_std.jpg

1969 Fender

16005GR_std.jpg

Edited by maxum96

Very helpful info. How about the headlight wiring? Can the 70 be used with minor mods to work with the 69 4 headlight system or best to swap wiring from firewall forward or is it more involved? Thanks again.

Very helpful info. How about the headlight wiring? Can the 70 be used with minor mods to work with the 69 4 headlight system or best to swap wiring from firewall forward or is it more involved? Thanks again.

Why not a 1970 Boss 302 Clone? Then you use your existing sheet metal.

I already have a very nice 1970 Sportsroof . I like the 1969 Boss 302 with the quad headlights and the protruding tail lights. A real one costs a bunch so with my other 70 sportsroof I decided to go this route. Have one of each so to speak. In my view the 70 has many nice upgrades over the 69 like locking steering column, larger front disc spindles, bolt in door glass, no rear quarter scoops or rood medallions to mention a few. I can make this car unique sort of follow the old Trans Am race car look on the outside yet have a complete interior for comfort.

I came across a 1969 coupe last night on a local advertiser and bought the car cheap. So now I will have everything I need. I will grab the front clip and wiring along with whatever other misc stuff I will need from that and save a bunch.

So the project will begin soon, updates to follow. Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Why not a 1970 Boss 302 Clone? Then you use your existing sheet metal.

I already have a very nice 1970 Sportsroof . I like the 1969 Boss 302 with the quad headlights and the protruding tail lights. A real one costs a bunch so with my other 70 sportsroof I decided to go this route. Have one of each so to speak. In my view the 70 has many nice upgrades over the 69 like locking steering column, larger front disc spindles, bolt in door glass, no rear quarter scoops or rood medallions to mention a few. I can make this car unique sort of follow the old Trans Am race car look on the outside yet have a complete interior for comfort.

I came across a 1969 coupe last night on a local advertiser and bought the car cheap. So now I will have everything I need. I will grab the front clip and wiring along with whatever other misc stuff I will need from that and save a bunch.

So the project will begin soon, updates to follow. Thanks for the answers to my questions.