Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Strut Rod Question

Reading through this post, are bushings completely eliminated from the front strut attachment to the cross member? Simply only my opinion, not trying to critic anything, but from an Engineering standpoint, I would expect large impact loads applied to that cross member from the strut. On a street driven car some type of damping would be beneficial for that front attachment to the cross member.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Reading through this post, are bushings completely eliminated from the front strut attachment to the cross member? Simply only my opinion, not trying to critic anything, but from an Engineering standpoint, I would expect large impact loads applied to that cross member from the strut. On a street driven car some type of damping would be beneficial for that front attachment to the cross member.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

You are correct 69, there are no rubber bushings left at all, and the only padding is the liner inside of the Heim Joints which ain't no padding at all really lol, just hard ass plastic.

I kinda thought the same thing at first, but I have seen so many people using them in race applications and on the street, I decided it will probably be fine.

On a Side note, I have fully welded out my shock towers, installed shock tower reinforcing plates, new Strut rod supports, fully welded out at the cross member both top and bottom... I am going to keep a close eye on all my welds and stuff for the first few thousand miles

You are correct 69, there are no rubber bushings left at all, and the only padding is the liner inside of the Heim Joints which ain't no padding at all really lol, just hard ass plastic.

I kinda thought the same thing at first, but I have seen so many people using them in race applications and on the street, I decided it will probably be fine.

On a Side note, I have fully welded out my shock towers, installed shock tower reinforcing plates, new Strut rod supports, fully welded out at the cross member both top and bottom... I am going to keep a close eye on all my welds and stuff for the first few thousand miles

Based on my analysis the highest stresses are bending of the plate that attaches to the LCA due to braking and other out of plane forces. There is also a lot of tensile force on the clevis thru-bolt that attaches it to the frame, as well as the bolt that goes through the rod end but it is in double shear (twice the shear capacity). Indeed there are a lot more forces when you eliminate the bushing. However, see the link below. If that Falcon can handle hitting a tree at the tire and shear off the ball joints while the bushingless strut rod was still intact, then I'd say our worries are mostly put to rest :p

http://www.stangfix.com/index.php?threads/falcon-versus-a-tree.16723/

Based on my analysis the highest stresses are bending of the plate that attaches to the LCA due to braking and other out of plane forces. There is also a lot of tensile force on the clevis thru-bolt that attaches it to the frame, as well as the bolt that goes through the rod end but it is in double shear (twice the shear capacity). Indeed there are a lot more forces when you eliminate the bushing. However, see the link below. If that Falcon can handle hitting a tree at the tire and shear off the ball joints while the bushingless strut rod was still intact, then I'd say our worries are mostly put to rest :p

http://www.stangfix.com/index.php?threads/falcon-versus-a-tree.16723/

I haven't had time or motivation to perform an FEA analysis on the LCA and strut assembly. It's a complex system to thoroughly model and analyze. I made my initial comments because intuitively, my thinking is without a bushing there is a greater chance of long term fatigue failure issues at the attachment. I'm not sure yet if the Falcon hitting the tree incident is in line with what I was thinking.

I haven't had time or motivation to perform an FEA analysis on the LCA and strut assembly. It's a complex system to thoroughly model and analyze. I made my initial comments because intuitively, my thinking is without a bushing there is a greater chance of long term fatigue failure issues at the attachment. I'm not sure yet if the Falcon hitting the tree incident is in line with what I was thinking.

Rairly will you get a direct impact load unless you hit something and that will likly break your suspension. Even hitting a pot hole or a curb is less than a direct impact as the tire will deform and you are hitting the tire below the centerline so it will act as a ramp of sorts.

If you want something with some give you can use the rubber rod ends like used in many street rod applications, but you will have to fab your own front mount for them as they are wider than the helms

Bob

Rairly will you get a direct impact load unless you hit something and that will likly break your suspension. Even hitting a pot hole or a curb is less than a direct impact as the tire will deform and you are hitting the tire below the centerline so it will act as a ramp of sorts.

If you want something with some give you can use the rubber rod ends like used in many street rod applications, but you will have to fab your own front mount for them as they are wider than the helms

Bob

Well my Thru Bolt on the front clevis area is a 3/4" grade 8 if I recall, so I think it will be fine.

The 2 bolts that hold the plate to the LCA are 5/8" Grade 8 also...I basically went up 1 -2 sizes over stock so I'm hoping that will keep everything nice and cozy.. Ill take a few shots this evening when I get home

Well my Thru Bolt on the front clevis area is a 3/4" grade 8 if I recall, so I think it will be fine.

The 2 bolts that hold the plate to the LCA are 5/8" Grade 8 also...I basically went up 1 -2 sizes over stock so I'm hoping that will keep everything nice and cozy.. Ill take a few shots this evening when I get home