Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

quick roller cam question

I have a 1969 302 bored and stroked for a 331. I will be doing a Comp K35-425-8 entire kit. I spoke with Comp and they said I can reuse the stock cam thrust plate. I have a Ford Racing steel plate (no provision for a bearing)

Is there a requirement for retrofit roller cams to have a roller cam thrust plate/bearing combo?

Yea thats exactly what I was referring to. I have worked on a hand full of flat tappet 290/302/351s and I have run across a couple rollers with the bearing and without but never inquired about it.

I saw that Comp offered a setup like you mentioned for about $100 or so.

What do you all recommend for a good camshaft endplay spec? If I were to be out of spec on the loose side, can I add a shim? I have never seen a pushrod cam out of spec for endplay but I am trying to build a gameplan flowchart for when I build my engine.

also you cant use that cam in a 69 block.

what heads and intake do you have?

cam end play from .002 - .010.

alignment with crank gear within .005

there are single and double bearing set ups.

these cams will work or call bullet cams. also try, cam research and straub tech if you want a custom cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=816&sb=0

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=818&sb=0

Edited by barnett468

The 35-425-8 can is listed as a retrofit for cars not originally equipped with a roller cam. My understanding and what comp told me was its a small base circle can that uses OE style lifters with the "spider" style link retainer. I trust what you are saying. Why would they list it as a retrofit for non roller cam at that year range?

Do yourself a favor and get a set of link bar lifters with that retro fit cam.

If it were a stock roller block I would be ok with stock style roller lifters with retainers.

I am running a 95 roller block with Comp lifters and standard spider but any friends who have roller cams in non roller blocks we always opt for link bar lifters for safety lol

The way Comp explained it: Those are OE roller lifters designed to work with a small base circle cam to keep the oil holes in the block and to keep the lifters at proper height.

The link bar lifters ($550) are designed to be used with an OE style cam to maintain oil hole height and not pop out of the bore

I didnt ask, but from the way he described it, I dont see how the link bar lifters would work with the small base circle cam

I also run the retrofit link bar hydraulic roller lifers with a standard base circle Ford racing X303 cam. They are in a 1969 351W block and work fine. I am not certain if retrofit link bar hydraulic roller lifters will work with a small base circle cam.

Yep that's what link bar lifters are for, simple upgrades to use new technology roller cams.

Don't forget to swap your distributor gear

xlnt thought. i use the composite gears, they work on all cams and purportedly last longer than the bronze ones.

Yep that's what link bar lifters are for, simple upgrades to use new technology roller cams.

xlnt thought. i use the composite gears, they work on all cams and purportedly last longer than the bronze ones.

The way Comp explained it: Those are OE roller lifters designed to work with a small base circle cam to keep the oil holes in the block and to keep the lifters at proper height.

The link bar lifters ($550) are designed to be used with an OE style cam to maintain oil hole height and not pop out of the bore

I didnt ask, but from the way he described it, I dont see how the link bar lifters would work with the small base circle cam

They wouldn't. If you used link bar lifters, you'd have to use a standard base circle cam, instead of the small base circle. I ran a small based circle cam for years with no issues, but they get a bad reputation on the forums. I went 10.50 with one.

They wouldn't. If you used link bar lifters, you'd have to use a standard base circle cam, instead of the small base circle. I ran a small based circle cam for years with no issues, but they get a bad reputation on the forums. I went 10.50 with one.

Everyone says that the cam flexes more during use..... I am not planning on making 1/4 mile passes all year. maybe some fast take offs or burnouts and that's about it. I have yet to hear of someone actually breaking a small BC cam.

Aside from that, I see that there is a lot of info that doesn't jive in here.

I understand that the link bar lifters are better, I couldn't find a whole kit that offered them, only kits that offered the OE style and spider (which I am ok with using)

Some people say they are using a small BC cam with tie bar rollers and some are using them with standard BC cams. This sounds like one of you guys are going to have a lifter failure in the future due to improper oiling.

Everyone says that the cam flexes more during use..... I am not planning on making 1/4 mile passes all year. maybe some fast take offs or burnouts and that's about it. I have yet to hear of someone actually breaking a small BC cam.

Aside from that, I see that there is a lot of info that doesn't jive in here.

I understand that the link bar lifters are better, I couldn't find a whole kit that offered them, only kits that offered the OE style and spider (which I am ok with using)

Some people say they are using a small BC cam with tie bar rollers and some are using them with standard BC cams. This sounds like one of you guys are going to have a lifter failure in the future due to improper oiling.

Use link bars with a standard base circle, and that's all you need (no spider/dogbones), and use the retrofit lifters with the small base circle cam, and use the spider dogbone.

For the retrofit cams, you have to have the valley machined and tapped for the spider.

Use link bars with a standard base circle, and that's all you need (no spider/dogbones), and use the retrofit lifters with the small base circle cam, and use the spider dogbone.

For the retrofit cams, you have to have the valley machined and tapped for the spider.

And yeah, people say the small base circle cams flex, and I'm sure they may, but we beat the crap out of the SBF swapped Focus with a small base circle, went 10.50s regularly, and never had a problem.

If you decide to go the link bar route, don't buy those $550 Comp lifters. These are a better lifter for less money. These are what I run in my car.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/morel-sbf-link-bar-hydraulic-roller/

Edited by sportsroof69

And yeah, people say the small base circle cams flex, and I'm sure they may, but we beat the crap out of the SBF swapped Focus with a small base circle, went 10.50s regularly, and never had a problem.

If you decide to go the link bar route, don't buy those $550 Comp lifters. These are a better lifter for less money. These are what I run in my car.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/morel-sbf-link-bar-hydraulic-roller/

Edited by sportsroof69