Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Glue in or bolt in?

What the best chemical to remove the old glue?

Imagine it has to lie in some sort of strong acetone or the likes to really get it to to soften and loosen?

unfortunately there is no chemical that will dissolve it. the 45 year old glue is now petrified [no i don't mean it is afraid]. i use a die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel.

unfortunately there is no chemical that will dissolve it. the 45 year old glue is now petrified [no i don't mean it is afraid]. i use a die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel.

You mean the glue DOESN'T do this when it sees you coming? Bummer.......

You mean the glue DOESN'T do this when it sees you coming? Bummer.......

I used sikaflex windsheild adhesive to glue mine in.Good shi7 .You will need a coulking gun.cost is only about 10 bucks for one of them.

Also take note of where glass sits in the brackets before glueing.

I also noticed on mine that the original glass actually sits slightly angled and not all the way down in the brackets.

I used that cork gasket material and made shims so the glass did not touch the metal as mentioned and when you put the glass into position it should fit snug.

I also used spacers down inside the base of the channel where the glass slots into to get the correct glass angle.

I did do a diagram with measurements and i will post it soon.I just have to find it.

I used sikaflex windsheild adhesive to glue mine in.Good shi7 .You will need a coulking gun.cost is only about 10 bucks for one of them.

Also take note of where glass sits in the brackets before glueing.

I also noticed on mine that the original glass actually sits slightly angled and not all the way down in the brackets.

I used that cork gasket material and made shims so the glass did not touch the metal as mentioned and when you put the glass into position it should fit snug.

I also used spacers down inside the base of the channel where the glass slots into to get the correct glass angle.

I did do a diagram with measurements and i will post it soon.I just have to find it.

Ok found it.This is for a coupe.Not sure if fast back has same measurements but method would be the same.

Please note that measurements are in centre metres not inches.

Also this is exactly how they were set from factory in my car.

I marked everything on the brackets before i took out the old glass to replace with new.

I drew a line across the length of brackets of where the old glass sat.This gave me the correct angles horizontally.In my car the glass did not slot all the way down the groove.

I also noted how far from the end of glass the brackets were fitted.

After fitting and messing around a bit to line it up it was all good.

Dont forget that the slide rails inside the door are front and rear specific.

If only i knew that at the time.lol

Edited by 9RO1M

Ok found it.This is for a coupe.Not sure if fast back has same measurements but method would be the same.

Please note that measurements are in centre metres not inches.

Also this is exactly how they were set from factory in my car.

I marked everything on the brackets before i took out the old glass to replace with new.

I drew a line across the length of brackets of where the old glass sat.This gave me the correct angles horizontally.In my car the glass did not slot all the way down the groove.

I also noted how far from the end of glass the brackets were fitted.

After fitting and messing around a bit to line it up it was all good.

Dont forget that the slide rails inside the door are front and rear specific.

If only i knew that at the time.lol

Edited by 9RO1M

I have re-glued the windows a couple times on a former 69 Coupe I had back in the day & since I have another 69 Coupe, over the years I have acquired the pieces to swap it over to the bolt in style.

I have re-glued the windows a couple times on a former 69 Coupe I had back in the day & since I have another 69 Coupe, over the years I have acquired the pieces to swap it over to the bolt in style.

I reglued my windows many years ago. I believe I used JB Weld. I also sanded the glass in the contact area so the glue had something to stick to. Most of the time it is a clean seperation of the glass and the glue. No need to remove 100% of the glue unless it's comming loose. I seem to recall there being 2 types of adhesive filling the void. The one bonding with the glass seems to fail. I used a cut-off wheel to open up the glue area to give just enough space for new glue. The bulk of the glue has been there 45 years and shows no sign of coming loose so I left it in place. New adhesives should make it easier. BTW, the adhesive in the caulking tube ages fast so don't have it sitting around.

I reglued my windows many years ago. I believe I used JB Weld. I also sanded the glass in the contact area so the glue had something to stick to. Most of the time it is a clean seperation of the glass and the glue. No need to remove 100% of the glue unless it's comming loose. I seem to recall there being 2 types of adhesive filling the void. The one bonding with the glass seems to fail. I used a cut-off wheel to open up the glue area to give just enough space for new glue. The bulk of the glue has been there 45 years and shows no sign of coming loose so I left it in place. New adhesives should make it easier. BTW, the adhesive in the caulking tube ages fast so don't have it sitting around.