Sign in to follow this  
juit

holley runing rich all the time

I would think if the secondaries never did open you would notice the severe lack of power.

somehow mine got stuck closed and I knew Immediately something was not working when I put my foot off in it.

I do like the way I can feel the Vac secondaries come in, its very subtle but reminds me of that Q-Jet Howl/Whine sound when they start to pull in lol.

Oh if any of you are considering using the Holley TPS kit for data logging or trans controller I can say that their kit works as intended but makes it a little harder to access the electric choke wire but aside from that its perfect....Need to be sure if your running a chrome solid fuel line that the arm from the TPS kit doesnt hit the fuel rail and give you a nice stuck throttle when you hit the go pedal "Yes Mine did" but I dont mess around in crowded areas or traffic so I had time to double tap the throttle and it let go.... All you have to do is bend your metal fuel line down a slight bit and your good.

When I rebuilt my carb I also went from a 25 to a 35 squirter I think it was which was what has been recommended a few times....Can someone explain why the stock front squirter has no little brass tits on it and the larger replacements to have the little brass nossles on them?> I'm assuming its to help better meter the flow and make the pump shot go in at a more precise angle?

Also when I swapped my squirter out there was no ball under the silver metering piece that goes in under the squirters, I have see a few like this and I always beat on the carb by hand to be sure its not stuck in there and even when I inspect it there isnt one, so I'm assuming again that some carbs don't use the little ball to regulate things and the needle like silver valve thing does it all...my carb seems to work just fine without it, not to mention most rebuild kits come with the little ball but this one didnt

it is possible to set the secondaries to open so late and slowly that there is no noticeable surge of power when they open.

i get them so they just barely bog when they open then go to the next step stiffer spring.

i actually like huge carbs with mechanical secondaries that have a huge bog when you open them and i can hear the engine loudly gasping for air, and it will eventually suddenly pick up rpm, lol.

i don't set my cars up this way though.

Edited by barnett468

Yeah that is what the Q-Jet is known for is the HUGE stumble when you stomp it to the floor, I have seen a few with a 2 second delay once the pedal is mashed before you feel and hear the secondaries open and then you can watch the fuel guage fall haha.

and its So easy to tune those carbs its crazy not to mention their reliability and the fact they never need adjustment.

I'm beginning to wonder how hard it would be to install one of the 800cfm factory Q-Jet units I have here at home on my stang lol

juit,

If your still having issues with your Holley carb running too rich try getting one of the many books on tuning and modifying Holley carbs. You'll find they are simple to tune, adjust, and common errors to avoid when adjusting them. There is nothing magical about them.

juit,

If your still having issues with your Holley carb running too rich try getting one of the many books on tuning and modifying Holley carbs. You'll find they are simple to tune, adjust, and common errors to avoid when adjusting them. There is nothing magical about them.

juit,

havent got time to tune :(

juit,

havent got time to tune :(

OK:

was 10 but 12 is happy I can go as 18 with no ping

initial 12

2000 mec 19

2000 vac 32

3000 mec 24

3000 vac 44 or more

2 port adj vac can

Edited by juit

OK:

was 10 but 12 is happy I can go as 18 with no ping