Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

Rear Quarter and Front Fender extensions

Anyone know where to get some or have any rear quarter and front fender headlight bucket extensions for sale. Need 2 sets of each for 2 69 Machs. The ones I have are damaged in the typical areas (broken tabs etc). The local mustang guy indicate the repops for these are not very good in his opinion and that I should try to find originals. Any help would be appreciated.

I used JB Weld when I fixed my originals. They were in bad shape and I had pop riveted some scrap metal "tabs" on the real tabs to keep it together. JB Weld filled in the pop rivet holes when the fix was done. They came out OK. Just remember, be generous with the JB and put some paper in between any metal and the vise grips you will be using the hold everything together while the JB sets up. JB and vise grip not a good combo.

Fun fact....

The buckets, extensions and scoops are all pot metal (scrap metal from the factory that is melted down and made into a "beef stew" of metal to cast parts)

Pot metal is tough to repair due to its porosity but its tougher because its not consistent throughout the model year runs.

Repairs can be done but you need to be very careful

I did the article on these repair kits, they work great!!!! Much stronger than original....

I did the article on these repair kits, they work great!!!! Much stronger than original....