Sign in to follow this  
69Midd4Stang

Establishing Car Value - Mach 1

69 Mach 1 - 351 Cleveland - All original parts to the car present - Car Value Once Restored is ????

I have found the above car parked for 39 years in a garage. I am attempting to determine what a reasonable purchase price is but more importantly what the car is worth on the open market when it is restored. The intent it to undertake a solid, clean and upper end restoration but not a full rotisserie restoration unless the value is there to do so.

I understand that there are many variables here but on line research has confused the matter further in that I am finding similar models restored ranging from 24K - 70 K.

Would appreciate some forum feedback to see what others feel about the value of such a car.

The 351 Cleveland is not the original engine for the 69 Mach1. There's some discussion but no proof that a couple of 69 Mach's might have been produced with 351C's toward the end of the production year. Since it has been parked for 39 years I'd check to see if there is any documentation about a factory engine replacement completed shortly after the car was produced. Otherwise, some PO probably toasted the 351W and replaced it with the Cleveland. So right there that lowers any prices for those looking for original. A non-original engine / otherwise Mach1 in good shape is probably worth 10-15K and after a complete upper end restore maybe 25K. You might want to look elsewhere for an original equipped Mach if you plan on restoring to make a dollar.

I don't think the not having the original motor lowers mustang prices too much. It should be a Windsor for sure. I would say coz's price range pretty accurate. Also depends on what options it had and color and interior combo. 1969 machs look great though and are pretty collectable. Price are going up on them.

It is nice to be able to know the history of your car also. You can check the vin on engine it will be on driver side just under head. You can use a mirror or camera phone to read it. The vin will be the consecutive number on the car. And don't worry, the vins are never punched very strait. Kinda looks like the drunk guy on line stamped it lol. Also, vin is punched on tranny but you need it out to see. But as I said matching number is not that important. I have them on my 69 droptop gt but really not that important.

Small block Mach 1s, depending on how well equipped, rarely go over 30K. It's hard to make money restoring a car where that is the present ceiling. Big block cars are a different story, you can make your money back if you buy em right.

They did make 75,000 of these things.

It's a weird market for these things. If you have a clean roller fastback shell, often you can get up to 15k for it. The gap between a finished car and a roller for these things just seems way to narrow. I am not sure if that's because rollers are over valued right now or finished cars are undervalued, but that's where we are.

I think everything is a little undervalued right now. Big block cars are what draws the cash with mustang. Lotta s codes get 428 dropped into them. And Q and R codes are the cars to have for sure. But the values seem to have been on the rise. Glad I bought most of my project over a year ago. Did pick up a R-code mach project for 17k but got a little lucky on it.

Well when I got my insurance and sent haggerty all my build info the agent I was dealing with said to insure it for 40k and if I wanted to do it at 50k he had no problem doing so.

Those are agreed upon values if the car is involved in a Total loss accident...

Hate to say it but if this thing is rear ended hard enough they can cut me a check and Ill buy a new one LOL