Sign in to follow this  
69 red fastback

power brakes

So your saying that as your sitting with the brakes applied that the motor idles up and when your off the brakes the motor idles down?

As you sit and hold the brakes or use them in traffic the Vac is consumed and your pedal will get softer especially if your running a sizeable camshaft.

I cant say if I notice an RPM increase or change when I apply my brakes but I am not gonna say this is not the case.

How old is the booster? if it were pretty old I would swap it out as well as the check valve where the vac hose hooks to and when you do that you can also check the push rod adjustment to be sure its correct.

There is a procedure to check a booster but generally I have found that when they are bad you get a rock hard pedal all the time, but a tiny leak might cause what your describing.

HOWEVER i can see how it would cause an idle increase as the vac is charging up the booster which is basically a controlled vac leak then its still being consumed while you have foot on the pedal.....tough one to call lol I have never had this problem.

Dont feel bad bud, we drove to CTC and I have driven my car to work a few days and 2 nights ago I saw I had a rear wheel Cyl leak, a header gasket leak and both outer tie rod ends had busted boots from dry rot.

Ok, I bled the brakes again and when I drove it to test them out I noticed when I was sitting at a stop sign that my idle was higher and as soon as I let off the brakes the idle drops back down.Is this a bad brake booster or is it something else that I'm missing?
;possibly, i would test the booster with a vacuum gauge with pedal up and depressed.

Yeah the pedal gets real hard and the idle goes up about 3-4 hundred rpm's to make up for it. It's a rebuit booster, so maybe I need a new one, yeah I've been going through fixing things on mine since I've got it on the road, so I feel your pain.

Thanks for the info.

I forgot to ask, can't I hook a vacume pump up to the booster to see if it holds vacume to tell if it's bad, or am I wrong in thinking that?

Not sure on hooking up the vac pump but if your pedal is getting hard like that then its a bad booster....it should get softer really as the vac is the canister is consumed.

Change that bad boy out and you should be good to go.

well.... just because i posted a reply to your question.... my master cylinder is on the way out... pedal is returning very very slow then not at all... i can stop but... the last time this happened i replaced the brake booster and master cylinder with a unit from O'reilly... now im ordering a NEW not refurbished master cylinder from NAPA NMC M1929.

i started a thread discussion ... Master Cylinder Woes...

well.... just because i posted a reply to your question.... my master cylinder is on the way out... pedal is returning very very slow then not at all... i can stop but... the last time this happened i replaced the brake booster and master cylinder with a unit from O'reilly... now im ordering a NEW not refurbished master cylinder from NAPA NMC M1929.

i started a thread discussion ... Master Cylinder Woes...

Ok, I bled the brakes again and when I drove it to test them out I noticed when I was sitting at a stop sign that my idle was higher and as soon as I let off the brakes the idle drops back down.Is this a bad brake booster or is it something else that I'm missing?

The idle speed shouldn't change when applying the brakes. Sounds like your rebuilt brake booster is bad and has a vacuum leak when you apply the brakes. There may be a small additional issue unrelated to your brakes. That is your idle air fuel mixture may be a little too rich since the idle speed increases 300 to 400 RPM when additional air from a leaking brake booster is introduced into the engine.

The idle speed shouldn't change when applying the brakes. Sounds like your rebuilt brake booster is bad and has a vacuum leak when you apply the brakes. There may be a small additional issue unrelated to your brakes. That is your idle air fuel mixture may be a little too rich since the idle speed increases 300 to 400 RPM when additional air from a leaking brake booster is introduced into the engine.