Sign in to follow this  
69 red fastback

power brakes

I was hoping you guys could help me with my brakes.

The problem is that my brakes aren't the best, I've put a disc brake conversion on the front, new mc, booster, and lines. I've bled the brakes at least 4 times, but they still don't feel the best.

My other thing is vacume, I built the 302 that's in it to a 306 roller with the cam being 214./224 @ 50 with lift at 472./496. with a 112 lobe. Would it help to put a vacume reserve canister on for the extra vacume.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

hello;

advance your timing as much as your engine will tolerate it if you have not done this yet. then reset you idle and you will have more vacuum.

if you can't get more than that then you need an auxiliary vacuum canister or vacuum pump.

also, your brake pads might be cheap organics. hawk pads are good.

You shouldnt need a canister.

My 408 has a much larger cam with same vac readings as yours and I also did a Granada brake swap and my power brakes are awesome.

1. Do you have an adjustable pushrod from the master Cyl to the booster? If so be sure its right.

2. With the master and booster mounted on the car remove the lines and bleed the master cyl with a master cyl bleeding kit from auto zone, they are like 10 bucks.

3. Re-Bleed your brakes starting on the pass rear then the driver rear then the pass front and finally the driver front...

Once you do all that then report back.

My brakes are soft for about 1/4 of the pedal travel but when you pass that they hit pretty hard and I dont even have my rear pressure turned up so it would be easier to do burn outs with no damage to rear shoes haha

No Problem.

Have you driven the car yet? or is this just pedal feel while sitting still?

My friend has Manual SSBC Disc brakes on his car and I know my power disc/Drum combo stops better lol plus its easier to operate.

Have you rented a guage to check the pressure at the calipers?

I would still Re-Bleed the master and all Brakes....Tap on the master a bit when its being bled. When I did mine it made a world of difference.

Also be sure that you don't have any leaks anywhere.

I do fine in traffic and brakes are easily strong enough to hold the car to start a burn out lol.

I have been 5 years doing mine so I know the feeling.

Drove it to work only for it to die on me after Installing a new Aeromotive pump and regulator, so I was under the hood this morning in a parking lot with my phone as a flash light wrenching on it... Turns out my float was sticking closed and not allowing fuel in...Just raised the float level and it seemed to cure it....Time to rebuild carb I suppose.

Did you do a power brake conversion? I have seen a conversion where somebody tried to reuse the brake pedal for manual brakes with power brakes. It simply didn't work correctly, a lot of pedal travel. Is it possible the wrong brake pedal is installed?

1969 Mach 1

Yes I did do a disc brake conversion, but it already had power brakes, I did think about that though so I called the place where I got the conversion kit from and they said that everything was good as far as the pedal.

Thanks for the info

So, it had power drums? I'm confused.

FWIW, when many people convert to power brakes from manual, and don't change to a power brake pedal, the brakes are quite grabby. The manual brake pedal is pivoted to apply much more leverage to compensate for lack or power assist, so when people do the conversion without changing the pedal, the complaint is that the brakes are too touchy, rather than the other way around.

You are correct, Max Power. I didn't even consider that aspect. I can see where the increased leverage from a manual brake pedal would cause brakes to be too touchy on a power brake system. Also, though its been a while since I compared the two pedals, I think based on geometry, the pedal pad on a manual brake pedal will travel further than the pedal pad on a power brake pedal to obtain the same amount of rod travel.

Edited by 1969_Mach1
errors

Be sure the rear brakes are adjusted correctly.

I usually adjust the shoes till I can just wiggle the drum on and it makes a good fit, then I put it in Neutral and roll the tire and feel for resistance.

My car was a power Disk/Drum car and I wanted the somewhat larger Granada brakes, plus it was cheaper to buy it as a kit than rebuild my old crap.

are you also using the old Brass Prop valve that ties in all the lines and then an SSBC valve for the rear only?