Sign in to follow this  
puzzledeagle

Need advice on best way to convert 1969 Mustang coupe to fastback

I wasn't insulting you, I was just stating a term that is used at my place of work, more so my boss, he calls that the hillbilly way.

I don't personally call it anything, its just another way of doing it.

As for the welding statement you made, its all welded up, what your looking at is something we use instead of filler.

I personally prefer to do it the old fashioned way and lead it like I did on my own car.

IMG_20140418_093948614_HDR_zps8c867a68.jpg

or just use your coupe to fix the fastback the floors are the same basically, the frame members are the same, a shame to cut a solid car if its a runner but if for parts it will be more straight forward to salvage the fastback. Use the front frame and aprons cut the floors around the frame to remove and buy aftermarket floors it is twice as much work to cut the spot welds and clean up to reuse the floors as just buy new and not that pricey. Once you start on the coupe you might find the floors not as good as thought anyway

This post is the first time I've heard of these transformations. I wished I had that skill and talent. The finished fastbacks look flawless. I really didn't know there was that much demand for fastbacks. On a side note, I have wondered (not trying to be negative) how the cost for this transformation compares to the value of the finished transformed fastback? Since, I'm guessing the vin still indicates the finished transformed fastback is a coupe, what affect does that have on its value?

I have wondered (not trying to be negative) how the cost for this transformation compares to the value of the finished transformed fastback? Since, I'm guessing the vin still indicates the finished transformed fastback is a coupe, what affect does that have on its value?

Probally alot but i did mine to keep forever and it was a fun project but yes i have a lot more in it than I could have bought one for

Probally alot but i did mine to keep forever and it was a fun project but yes i have a lot more in it than I could have bought one for

I can understand that. I've had my 1969 Mach 1 for 19 years now. I still love working on it and don't see a time when I would sell it.

If you are converting the car to be a hot rod then who cares. But if you care about the value and the originality then you are best to use a donar car and replace what is bad on yours and keep the numbers of the car you have and want. I have seen and even done some major body reconstruction that keep the original numbers on the car, of course you do sometimes come across a car that is just too far gone

Bob

I Just did my coupe to fastback conversion but i used all new sheet metal.Only because i did not have a donor car feel free to look thru my photobucket account tons of pictures.[

WOW! Heck if an undertaking, pretty impressive for a home repair. Very nice finished product.

Bob

I had the same question about cost....I know fastbacks are more expensive but I cant imagine what it would cost in new sheet metal.

The other amazing thing is seeing snookman's car COMPLETELY disassembled....doesn't even look like a car.

I was just looking at mustang depot ( I think) and it looks like they have the kit to convert coupe to fastback for about $4700

Looks like it comes with the whole body side, quarters, trunk lid, roof and such

It was less that I though it would be

Bob

I Just did my coupe to fastback conversion... feel free to look thru my photobucket account tons of pictures

Is there a link to access your photobucket account?

Bob