Sign in to follow this  
malcolm300

quick tac question

just a quick one my dash has a factory tac in it but the wiring isn't for a tac, so dose anyone know where the two wires on the tac connect to? like I said its a factory tac and I have bypassed the pink resistor wire as I have a rtr distributer.

cheers

ford wiring diagram for 68 may be different than your tach ill check later tonight.

. the tach man may have a diagram online also.

black wire on 2 wire assy goes ito neg side of coil

black with green stripe to distributor

black wire on 3 wire assy goes to ground

blue with rd stripe on 3 wire assy goes to blue with red stripe on black of bevel for lites.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/89255d1264897998-1968-mustang-wiring-diagrams-tach-please-help-tach-wiring-diagram.jpg

Edited by barnett468

malcolm300,

If it is still an original Ford Tach that hasn't been retrofitted, then you should get a Ford wiring schematic. I don't know what year you are working with, but the original two wire Ford tachs for 1969 and 1970 Mustangs were wired in series with the pink resister wire going to the positive side of the coil. I've seen these referred to current triggered tachs as opposed to newer voltage triggered tachs. Connecting it wrong can damage the tach. Plus there are also wiring differences going from an ammeter to a warning light.

hello malcolm . if your tach has a red wire it connects the way rktmn posted . . if it does not have a red wire it connects the way i posted .. . if it has the red wire then the black wire goes out and must be connected to the pink wire or a resistoir coil or a 1.5 ohm resistor . . use the resitor if you want to keep 12v to the coil .in which case you will end up with a power wire and the tach connnected to the pos side of the coil.