Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Radio Questions

Hello,

I have a restored 1969 Mach 1 and after many years I am finally installing a radio. For me it is more to fill the opening in the dash and having a period correct appearance. So, I purchased a period correct New-In-Box NOS AM/FM 8-track. It is not an original Ford item but an RCA replacement from back in the early 1970's. It fits perfectly and even has correct wiring adapters to connect to the original wiring harness.

Question: Where do I find knobs for this RCA radio? The original Ford knobs fit D-shape shafts and this RCA radio has round shafts with slots in the middle. I guess you can call them split round shafts. The shafts are the same diameters as the original radio's, just different shape.

Best Regards,

Mike

Is it just one knob per shaft, or two? The original radios had 2 knobs on each shaft, one in front and a larger one in back. Does this have double knob shafts? If it does not, and you do not care about period correct, I might have a couple I can give you.

Thanks for the offer. This RCA radio has two knobs per shaft, a smaller in front and larger one in back. I saw on EBay the two larger rear knobs for a later Ford, 1974 that looked somewhat period correct and like they will fit correctly. They are NOS being sold by Perogie Enterprises. I'll have to phone Perogie's to find out if they have the front two knobs as well.

To follow up. I was thinking of filing a flat spot on the shafts to make them D-shaped for each Ford knob. And after close inspection I discovered the shafts on this RCA radio have flat spots (D-shaped) as well as being slotted. So the original 1969 Ford reproduction knobs fit correctly.