Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Dual exhaust floor reinforcements

Do 69-70"s have the dual exhaust reinforcement panels like the earlier cars did.

About to weld in my complete floor and was curious if I need to order these panels.

Only showing up for earlier cars however, maybe this tells me the later cars didn't have them?

Could somebody verify this.

my 69 just has a small bracket that holds two studs that feed through the floor.

I just bought those two brackets thinking that's all I would need.

Looks like from the other responses I do need the reinforcement plates also.

Thanks guys, I will order these up right now.

It depends on what engine you have

Look at the differences in the exhaust systems between the transverse mufflers and the more standard configuration.

On my 69 conv with a 302 I used the muffler hangers like used in the 351c cars that use the two mufflers and the hanger bracket attached to the upper shock support.

This was a no brainier for me as I did not want to add any holes to my car

Bob

It depends on what engine you have

Look at the differences in the exhaust systems between the transverse mufflers and the more standard configuration.

On my 69 conv with a 302 I used the muffler hangers like used in the 351c cars that use the two mufflers and the hanger bracket attached to the upper shock support.

This was a no brainier for me as I did not want to add any holes to my car

Bob

Do you have any pics of that setup.

Im not exactly sure where your hangers go, are they in a different spot than Brians car?

My 70 B302 has no plates either. Probably another one of the long list of minor differences between 69 and 70 cars. Could it be related to the transverse muffler used in 69, but not 70? Below is a pic during surgery:

Rear%2B3%2Bwheel%2Bwell.jpg

Interesting. My 70 Boss 302 didn't have any sort of these reinforcement brackets/plates since new. ??????

Mmmmmm, maybe that's why I cannot find these listed for a 70.

I realize the 69 parts would fit perfectly but maybe they just did away with them on 70's.

My car is a 70 also and did not have them, im thinking ill just add them for the heck of it.

My 70 B302 has no plates either. Probably another one of the long list of minor differences between 69 and 70 cars.

So where do your rear hangers mount because im not seeing the small brackets with the studs on your car either.

The hangers were installed using bolts - no studs. The bolts fit into threaded holes just forward of where the shock upper mount is. There is two pieces of metal in that area, with an airspace between. I do not have a clear pic of the mounting, but this pic should give an idea where they go:

IMAG0131.jpg

I have/had the same setup as shown in Unkleen's photo above. I wonder if it is different on staggered shock cars?

My new setup will use the inboard rear seatbelt anchors for mounting points as I will not be using a back seat and these points are quite sturdy.

Mustang cars from 65 to 68 with resonators and dual exhaust packs came with the added reinforcement plate and brackets. In 69 they still had the resonators but went to a transverse muffler but still needed the plates and brackets to secure the resonators. For the 70 cars the resonators were eliminated and the plates and brackets were not necessary. The exhaust hangers for 70 are very similar to the 65-66 style hangers. Brian

So it looks like the forward edge of these plates goes under the floor from looking at your pictures, which sucks because I just welded my new floor in today, lol.

Maybe if 70 cars didn't use these plates I just wont bother after all.

yeah, if you decide to use them just trim the leading edge and seam seal.

I think I will use them and do what you said, I bought one of those seam sealer guns that can spray so I can do all kinds of finishes with it.

I will cut and spray seam sealer around it.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

No reinforcement or brackets on my factory dual exhaust Mach 1. Muffler hangers match that of Unkleen. The single exhaust 70 fastback has the same passenger hanger. I will note that it does not have the nuts welded on the drivers side for the dual exhaust. I would have to weld nuts or do nutserts if I wanted a factory dual exhaust setup.

I just saw these reinforcement plates in an ad in the latest Mustang Monthly.

If they are not present on 1970 cars, I'd guess they are only used on dual exhaust cars that came with the dual resonators & transverse mounted muffler ('67-69).

My car was NOT a factory dual car (orig. 351W 2V), and the 1st dual system put on the car in the early 80's at an exhaust shop was installed with just sheet metal screws.

When I put the correct resonator/ transverse muffler system on in the late 80's, I noticed a stress crack in the floor pan on one side so I fabricated my own studded plates to match the new factory hangers and sandwiched the floor like the factory did it. You would think this would have been good enough, but obviously not if Ford went one step further and doubled the floor thickness with these added reinforcement plates !!

Going to have to order up a pair of these ... learn something new everyday !!

Doug