Sign in to follow this  
TF69

Original Vs Restomod value

I am restoring my 1969 Mach 1 390 4spd close ratio. I continue to debate about original vs making it more custom because that is what all my other cars have been.

Interested in others opinions on original vs restomod cars and how bad they hurt the value or not.

The way I see it is if you have a collectable like an R code, K code, or GT350 and others, keep it stock or able to be returned to stock. Since I was young all of the cars that were modified were with more cash. This changed with the 60's muscle cars that have the special features verified by the vin. Personally I don't think a run of the mill Mach needs preserved, but that's me. Ymmv.

Bob

The problem I have with the restomod/customized cars is that they are impossible to work on. Unless you built it you will never know what it's made of. What has been cut, welded , shaved, removed, added and on and on. I prefer the cars that are for the most part stock or at least modified with stock parts. But that just my opinion. Brian

I've had two '69 390 Mach 1's in the last few years. I think the present condition comes into play - are you cutting up a cherry original? Saving a car that almost didn't make it? I think you can take a lot of liberties with a car that owes you it's continued existence.

my 3 cents;

your car is very rare, a restomod is money thrown in the trash when you sell it. a mint stock car will sell 1,0000 times faster than a restomod unless it is a modded 66 coupe or just another plain car like a 70 6 cylinder fb.

if you plan to keep it, do it how you like and take the hit if you have to sell it.

To me, I really think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you plan to keep it, then do what you want with the car. If you are planning to put some work into it with the desire to make the most profit from the sale then I would not go to far with it.

Customizing cars as stated above are more of a personal taste and what you like someone else might not or even know about. Selling a customized car is probably more difficult, but ultimately could be done, but you would have to wait for the "right" buyer. A more stock car has a bigger audience.

Wheels and suspension are not a big deal at all unless you go really crazy and start cutting up the shock towers or welding in rear suspension. The headers are a different story. While they do help power wise they can be a pain especially with ground clearance on big block cars. I have a S code 390 car as well and that has always been an issue with mine with the other mods that I have on the car. There are options out there for choices, but can be limited depending on other things you are planning to do to the car.

My car is far from stock, but I don't plan on getting rid of the car any time soon so I did what I wanted to the car to make it more enjoyable for me to drive.

Just look at all the custom cars from the '60's and '70's, at one time they were cool, now they get laughed at. Same with the restomods of today, stuff that is cool now...won't be a few years from now. I wouldn't do anything that can't be easily reversed. A stock car never goes out of style.

I agree with everything said, you really need to define what custom is to you first. A mostly stock to lightly modified and easily reversible car (especially when you retain the changed parts) is certainly a safer investment and easier to sell off should it become necessary in a hurry. A little goes a long way, especially with at-a-glance appearance. Spend 20K on wild and crazy paint job that almost no one but you likes and it will hurt the car for sure. Swap in some period correct Shelby Fiberglass though and maybe slightly larger wheels and a custom touch here and there and even someone who doesn't like it probably won't think twice about it, they can go back easy and make money on the parts they don't want because many more do want them.

That all said obviously who you are makes a difference as well, I've yet to see values be hurt on say a Ring Brothers or Foose car for example and at the height of it's popularity what some folks paid for those POS Eleanor Replicas made by Unique Performance was a joke.