Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Hard Start

If I am running errands on a warm day like today, it will start up fine. But if I leave it for 15-20 minutes or so, it wont start. It will turn and turn and act like its going to catch but wont.

Is it a carb issue? Do I need a spacer between my carb and intake?

Edelbrock 500 and performer intake.

It should start back up after I let it cool off for a while.

Sounds like you're getting a fuel soak situation. Basically, the heat from the engine gets transferred through the carb and the fuel in the bowl heats up and actually boils, which in turn causes fuel to go into the carb and you end up with a flooded carb. If you're not running a spacer get a phenolic spacer, which will help reduce the heat transfer. An aluminum spacer won't necessarily fix the problem, thus the need for a phenolic spacer.

Also, make sure the float level in your bowl isn't set too high, which can also add to the situation.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the phenolic spacer. I'll try the phenolic carb start next time first.

Looks like edelbrock has 1/2" up to 2". Where should I start? How much clearance do I have? For a stock 302?

I have a two plane manifold--should I get an open spacer, 4 hole spacer or divided spacer?

also if you have exhaust cross overs i would plug them.

when you come back to the car after it gets hot, look in the front venturis and open the throttle at a moderate speed. you should see two strong streams of gas. if not then your bowl might be going low on gas.

what is your ignition timing?

if it is stock or has a small cam then it should be at least 8 deg btdc.

if it has a big cam the 12 - 14 btdc.

connect the dist vac ad to ported vac, not manifold vac.

Edited by barnett468

I'll order the spacer...looks like it comes with the gaskets.

I have a 351 cam in a 302 with gt40 heads. I am running right at 12deg.

ok as long as that 12 degrees is with the dist vac disconnected that is ok.

if it is getting gas when hot then maybe lower your float level around 3/16 - 1/4 inch as a test.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the phenolic spacer. I'll try the phenolic carb start next time first.

Looks like edelbrock has 1/2" up to 2". Where should I start? How much clearance do I have? For a stock 302?

I have a two plane manifold--should I get an open spacer, 4 hole spacer or divided spacer?

Use a 1 inch 4 hole spacer for best low end performance with your set up.

running without one will cause fuel to perk I carb when hot and hard restart.