Sign in to follow this  
esilassy

Wish me luck...

Started an adult education class on body work. I will be bringing in parts of my 69 coupe and working on them. The car has one last show to go to in it's rusty state and then gets put away for the winter. I hope to get : trunk, fenders, and doors fixed and in primer, hood is ok, has one dent that I should be able to fix. left quarter is bad (right one was replaced some time ago, before I bought it). I like the idea of the class, because I have a whole shop at my disposal and will hopefully learn how to fix things right. As soon as I figure out how to get pics on here, I will post some. Some questions: how do you get the hood/headlight bucket trim off? The car seems to have been resprayed, poorly. I want to do a complete repaint, I think the stuff on there now is enamel. Any concerns about going to newer types of paint? Sorry for the dumb questions, but, hey, I'm dumb :biggrin:

The newer paints paint really well.

I use ppg deltron dbc.

I actually just painted my engine compartment body color with base coat/clear coat.

I used deltron dbc and ppg glamor clearcoat turned out really well.

As long as you have a nice quality paint gun you cant go wrong with the newer paints.

Nice, good to hear you have had good results. I know I'm probably not going to do the greatest job, but I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm hoping to have most of the rust fixed and parts mostly in primer before summer sets next year. Just depends on how much I learn and if I need to replace any sheet metal. I might have to get new doors and the left quarter. Fenders seem to be ok, but only time will tell. Trunk is bad, but they don't make aftermartket for the coupe, so I will have to fab something up. The vinyl top has one rip in it, I will patch that up the best I can, I'm afraid of what the roof looks like if I pull the top off.