Sign in to follow this  
mauleta

Where do I start?

A few months ago I purchased a 1969 Mach 1, H code with an FMX transmission, 3.0 open rear, power steering and drums all around ... a project that was already started. My second 69 Mach 1 after 26 years. All of the difficult work has already been completed; new quarters with sail panels, new inner fenders with big block shock towers, floors replaced. rust in trunk replaced, interior stripped. Actually, the body is in really good shape to start with. Good frame rails, cowl appears to be good, Some of the finishing on the floor welds could be better, and the door corners are rusted through but I'm not complaining. And the engine appears to be seized (it was last registered in 1982). Actually, just what I was looking for. A project where the most difficult work was already done.

My plans:

A nice driver. I'm not looking to win any concours events, but I don't want a rat rod. I'd like some updates to the car. Power disks, at least in front, air conditioning, decent audio. A little bit better handling with an export brace and Arning drop. An additional nice to have would be power windows.

Now, for my question. Now that it's getting cooler, where do I start? I know I need to have the sail panel to roof joints leaded back in and the doors need attention. I've treated the floors for surface rust and primed them for protection. The front springs need replacing as they appear to be for a big block by the stance if the car. I'm willing to try anything myself. I did the majority of the work on my old Mach 1 and I'd like to think I still can. The leading concerns me a bit, and I've never welded (doors), but the mechanical stuff, I'm pretty sure I can handle. The quarters & inner fenders are e-coated, so I'm not sure how to handle those to get ready for paint.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms all welcome.

Thanks -

Mike

The repair work looks pretty good. No real thoughts on "what next". That pretty much depends on your priorities, finances and time. You seem to have a handle on what needs done, maybe a matter of organizing the tasks. I have a list of tasks and I pick and choose depending on my time and/or what I feel is the priority at the time.

Don't worry about the welding. You'll pick it up pretty quick if you're anything like the rest of us. Especially if you don't have any big spots. I just finished welding in drivers front and passengers back floor boards similar to the pictures you have. Last time I welded was in highschool, which was only 6 years ago, but still. Still need to prime the drivers side on my car though. Looks like you've got a solid beginning. I would start by pulling the engine/transmission for a rebuild/replace. That or stripping paint, but it's easier to strip paint without the engine if you're planning on using a rotisserie.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck!