Sign in to follow this  
mav man

convertible top

can anyone help me out with a diagram of the parts for the convertible top and quarter windows and door windows? I have one that is missing a bunch of pieces for top and windows.looks like they took the top off and thrue out all the rods and the rear bow that bolts on and the mounting strips that go around the back and sides ,and also missing a bunch of window parts so I need a diagram to see whats missing and what we have. where can I get parts for the top?

Pick up a set of the Osborne assembly manuals.

http://www.amazon.com/1969-Mustang-Body-Assembly-Manual/dp/B000V80NKI

They're invaluable, especially in a situation like yours. Convertible top frames and misc parts pop up on eBay. I don't think they're reproduced. Welcome to the site. If you have any specific questions ask away, there's lots of folks that can offer pics and advice here.

If your missing pieces from the conv top, you would will be hard pressed to find any. I have been looking for 1 piece for over a year. I have seen quite a few full top frames but cant find anyone with a frame they will sell pieces off of. If you do decide to replace yours, I would e interested in a part. Thanks

I am needing the drivers side rear frame piece that the tension cable screws into for a 69 vert. I had a guy that had one and we agreed on a price but he tried to screw me and get 4 times what we agreed to after he got it off the junk top he had. I can load a picture of the piece I am talking about in the morning. The little ear that sticks off that the tension cable attaches to is broken off of mine. I still have the piece and thought about trying to have someone weld it but would rather just replace it if I can find one. Im not really sure how easy it would be to have cast aluminum welded and how it would turn out either.

Those pieces can be easily welded. You might try that. There is a guy in Minnesota with a lot of Cougar parts, including convertible parts. He refuses to sell on ebay, but I have bought parts from him. I am thinking the frame is the same.

I have a complete extra frame stored at home that I found 25 years ago. Unfortunately, it is backup parts for me and I am not interested in selling the parts now. You never know when a tree falls on my car and I need the parts myself.

But if you want, I can contact the Cougar guy.

I have a 69 convertible manual top mustang and on the passenger side I have a hold down clamp but not on the drivers side I guess it was broke over the years any suggestions on where I can find one or other options. I seen the 68 and older only which bolts up different. Thanks and I'm glad I found a forum for just 69's

I think he's talking about the ones in the rear that hold it down like these.

GMK3020682642P.jpg

With so few convertibles made in '69 and so many fewer of which were manual tops these are hard to come by, I have seen folks modify the '68's to work though.

It may be better in the end to just convert it to power, I think everything is reproduced, the only exception may be the switch.

I have not seen any convert to power articles but that doesn't mean they don't exist, if one does you may find it by searching the archives at the Mustang Monthly website. I imagine any classic year mustang would be pretty much the same as for '69. I can also look in my assembly manual this weekend, there is probably an exploded view showing the parts. There is not much involved, you need the pump which runs on type F transmission fluid, a cylinder on each side with tubing running to the pump and a switch connected to it, that's pretty much it and yes, with power you do not need hold down clamps anymore.

EDIT: I found this reference in a quick search.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1404-how-to-convert-a-1966-ford-mustangs-convertible-power-top/viewall.html

Edited by Pakrat