Sign in to follow this  
michael2938

Radiator doesn't fit! Need Help

UPDATE: Radiator was correct, but I had the wrong radiator mounts and shroud. Also had problems with the engine sitting too low, but was resolved with some spacers on the motor mounts.

I think I may have bought the wrong radiator... very confused. The car is a 1969 sportsroof, 351w with air Conditioning.

We just got the engine in the car and when I went to put in the radiator I found it was not fitting very well at all. I don't know if I have the wrong radiator, lower radiator brackets (which were already in the car), or the wrong hoses. Or all of the above!

Here is what I ordered:

Radiator

Hoses

The two main problems: the lower hose does not line up with the outlet valve on the radiator. As seen here:

D4FFE45C-ACB4-4EEE-944F-2BA0697DD628_zpsq6gbccbv.jpg

And the other problem is the radiator is not even touching the lower brackets/rubber. It sort of rocks side to side before it will touch them. When I got this car it had the wrong radiator in it, but I don't know if they changed the brackets too.

951793D5-D690-42B7-A653-AF2296D56B5A_zpsgi1mmibg.jpg4DC379BB-9E38-47DC-8470-3CC986F2EBC7_zpsixjwb6cb.jpg

E8E86692-8BB6-4D78-BA78-976E929512C3_zpsvyru8r00.jpg3B0BA24A-8DC3-451C-9C44-500E4F38CDB1_zpspiclauiw.jpg

Edited by michael2938

Hard to tell because there is no photo of the top or side of the radiator but, it Looks as if you have the one for WITHOUT air conditioning

Here is a link to one for 351W WITHOUT air

http://www.cjponyparts.com/3-row-radiator-kit-68-69-289-302-351w-without-a-c/p/RADK4/

Here is a link for the one for 351W WITH air

http://www.cjponyparts.com/3-row-radiator-kit-68-69-289-302-351w-with-a-c/p/RADK5/

The one without air is a 20" flange mount type, the one with air is a 24" saddle mount.

Also, your lower hose looks "cocked" in the photo. May just be the photo but it looks as if its cocked upward.

Edited by Wycked69

Looks like a non A/C Radiator, to me. Clearly, those lower mounts are for the larger Radiator, which needs those brackets.
Yeah, if that's it then I'll be sending this one back. I guess I'll contact CJ's tomorrow and see what they say. The description of what I ordered clearly says WITH AC.

As far as the brackets on the car, this is just what came with my car when I got it. My assumption is these are still the correct lower brackets. When I got this car it did not have the original radiator nor did it have AC. Though my car originally did come from the factory with AC.

-Mike

Wasn't the lower brackets only used with larger radiators that came with big block car. Mine is original 428 and it has the lower ones. and I have seen 390 with the lower brackets. I could be wrong but I think the small block radiators bolted to the radiator support only and did not use the lower bracket.

Dave

Some guys tho used larger radiators on small blocks and that maybe why your car has them if it was original 351. looking at the pictures tho and things not lining up you must have the wrong radiator too.

Edited by det0326

What's also strange is that I can look at CJ's inventory and see they offer replacement lower brackets for ALL 69's with the description: "These brackets are designed to the exact specifications and details of the stock originals for a perfect and precise fit with the 24" saddle mount radiator found in 1968-1970 Mustangs. These lower mounts are designed for use with Mustangs that have an air conditioning system present."

So it seems to me they all should have had lower brackets. I will say the brackets I have don't appear to look like the repro's that CJ's offers, so maybe that is part of my problem.

DET, my 302 69 vert does NOT have those lower brackets and it is a factory a/c car, 302 2v

yeah I seem to recall the small block cars didn't come with the lower brackets but some changed to bigger radiators and added the brackets just for better cooling. I think that might be what happened on the OP car if it is a small block car but that I don't know with out the vin #

Dave

What's also strange is that I can look at CJ's inventory and see they offer replacement lower brackets for ALL 69's with the description: "These brackets are designed to the exact specifications and details of the stock originals for a perfect and precise fit with the 24" saddle mount radiator found in 1968-1970 Mustangs. These lower mounts are designed for use with Mustangs that have an air conditioning system present."

So it seems to me they all should have had lower brackets. I will say the brackets I have don't appear to look like the repro's that CJ's offers, so maybe that is part of my problem.

You could be correct maybe the A/C cars did come with the brackets, since they had bigger raditors but any event you have something about this radiator that is not correct we all agree on that.

It looks like the correct radiator. In your picture you are holding the hose next to the water pump and it is not connected to it. Since you are holding it to the side of it, this is what is moving it a couple inches towards the pass side. If the lower is put on the pump it looks like it will line up correctly from the angles in your picture.

Thanks, guys. So it's seeming like I have the wrong brackets, so that's an easy fix.

What about the lower hose and outlet on the radiator? Does that look like the right hose and position on the radiator for the outlet?

Does it seem like it would line up but maybe a tad to long. I have never used

cj pony's radiator hoses but I know some has to be trimmed. Hard to say from the picture.

Dave

Does it seem like it would line up but maybe a tad to long. I have never used

cj pony's radiator hoses but I know some has to be trimmed. Hard to say from the picture.

Dave

The only way it lines up without really bending the hose is if the hole was a couple inches more toward the passenger side.

Does anybody have a picture of their lower radiator hose and brackets?

The only way it lines up without really bending the hose is if the hole was a couple inches more toward the passenger side.

Does anybody have a picture of their lower radiator hose and brackets?

I was wondering if that was the case because in the first picture you posted that what it looked like but in another farther down it looked like it might line up I guess it is just the camera angle. Sorry I don't have engine or radiator in my care right now but I am sure lots of guys on here can help with a picture.

I think I would call CJ Pony and explain it to them and see if they have a solution.

Dave

Radiator looks right

Brackets are very wrong. Not even close

Big block cars came with clamp in wide radiators

Factory AC cars came with clamp in wide radiators

Small block and 6cyl non AC cars got the narrow bolt in radiator

I put the clamp in AC radiator in my small block non-AC car. Bolt in brackets and drop in radiator

Bob

Doesn't the 24" radiator stick out past the sides of the core support? I think you have a 20" radiator....

Measure and confirm.

The radiator itself is 24" wide so this must be the right one. Based on responses, I will be getting new lower radiator supports and retry it.

I'm still interested to see if someone can post a picture of their lower radiator hose connected to a 351w. Anybody able to post one?

radiatormeasurement2_zpsc071b1d2.jpg

Thanks,

MIke

Here you go. 351W with AC.

My radiator the same width as yours and measures 7" from edge of radiator to centre of lower hose; exactly the same as yours.

The left side of the radiator should be LESS THAN HALF AN INCH FROM THE BATTERY TRAY.

Have you installed your lower hose the wrong way around? Doh!

And your lower brackets look nothing like mine. See 2nd picture below, taken from the driver's side. My brackets definitely make good contact with the bottom tank.

IMG_1922_zps913d6d6f.jpg

IMG_1938_zps5e423598.jpg

Edited by bartzzimpson
typo