Sign in to follow this  
ashleesmach1

Tank Armor

Sorry, not impressed

Weak link here is that in a bad enough rear end collision the filler neck, fill,home and the tank can separate and then fuel can get out that way which this does not protect against.

If you research this a little, this product started life as a public scare that was largely trumped,up on some investigative show.

To me you can do the same thing with a flat piece of 16ga that you screw or rivit to the trunk floor covering the tank. But again you still have to do something to the filler neck.

If you have a coupe the best bet is to install sheet metal behind the rear seat and on the package tray. This is what is required by most racing organizations

Bob

I think in any bad enough collision there would be nothing you can bolt into it that would stop fuel leakage.

I do like the idea myself, it will give some protection to the occupants.

Seems a little spendy if you ask me, Id make my own before I paid that kind of money.

Sorry, not impressed

Weak link here is that in a bad enough rear end collision the filler neck, fill,home and the tank can separate and then fuel can get out that way which this does not protect against.

If you research this a little, this product started life as a public scare that was largely trumped,up on some investigative show.

To me you can do the same thing with a flat piece of 16ga that you screw or rivit to the trunk floor covering the tank. But again you still have to do something to the filler neck.

If you have a coupe the best bet is to install sheet metal behind the rear seat and on the package tray. This is what is required by most racing organizations

Bob

Exactly. Well said Bob.

Bob

that's exactly what I did in my coupe, I added a piece a sheet metal behind the rear seat. plus if your good with sheet metal work and some welding this an affordable thing to do.

Would the stiffness it adds to the rear section be a benefit?

No

The material you would be attaching to is bent in that area and thin metal so the trunk floor will just flex a bit and negate any potential benefits.

A flat plate over the whole tank and attached to trunk floor as close to the rear frame rails will do so much more, but even with that I don't. Think it will be enough that you would ever feel it

Weld a round tube from frame rail to frame rail under the car right in front and behind the tank will do 10x as much as the flat plate across the top ( unless that is one thick and heavy plate)

Bob

I do have the tank armor and plan upon installing it. Bob brings up a good point about the filler neck. I plan upon attaching a 16 gauge piece to go around the filler neck and butt up to the taillight panel. I did see a 65 convertible with tank armor get rear ended really hard and by the looks of it I thought it might have saved the driver's life. I'm not a crash expert however so take it at face value.

david

Awwww man. I saw the thread title, and was hoping it was for a tracked vehicle type of tank. LOL

I haven't heard of any cases of really needing this item. Yea, it seems like a good idea, but, is it really a safety issue? I'm not so sure.

You can't just add a piece of steel and suddenly expect your car to be significantly safer. These cars were built with 50 year old automotive technology. Cars today are built so differently from our Mustangs. Even the way the unibody is designed and built in a modern car is very different than a vintage car.

Just some things I've learned as a major accident investigator and reconstructionist.

Edited by maxum96

I understand what your saying. But anything is better than nothing. It can't hurt. Some kind of barrier would be better than no barrier. would you agree? see I plan on my little girl driving the car one day and I want the protection as much as I can

Bob

This still leaves the area above the wheel well open. Where do you stop with trying to block possible fuel flow? We really need a repro tank with a fuel cell.

This still leaves the area above the wheel well open. Where do you stop with trying to block possible fuel flow? We really need a repro tank with a fuel cell.

What area above the wheel well?

Do you mean the roof B pillar?

If done correct and to how the race bodies want it you won't have a gap

Bob

My opinion is anything you can do to make these cars safer is going in the right direction. Two coworkers of my wife just died from an over the median front end collision in a 93 Sentra and I believe they have a couple airbags. Our family friend died in a car with a gas fire.

What area above the wheel well?

Do you mean the roof B pillar?

If done correct and to how the race bodies want it you won't have a gap

Bob

Yes, I was referring to the B pillar area. I guess you would also cover the interior quarter panel. It is nomally covered with a metal panel but just not sealed.

Yes, anything is an improvement. I favor the "not so noticeable" modifications.

I was suggesting a fuel cell which looks like a regular tank from below.