Sign in to follow this  
rodbrady

Shock Tower Crack

One more thought. I've ordered an export brace from CJ (backordered, of course). I'm wondering if I should wait for it to arrive and have it bolted on before I reinforce and stiffen up the shock towers?

I just wondered if it might be more challenging to install the export brace after the shock towers are stiffened up. I've heard it can be difficult to get them to line up.

Yes it will be.

Get the brace or,perhaps borrow one from someone local

I just wondered if it might be more challenging to install the export brace after the shock towers are stiffened up. I've heard it can be difficult to get them to line up.

Sounds like you researched this already and maybe have your answer. What brace did you order, stock ? If non-adjustable I would also wait for the brace like Rsanter suggests. It's not that they do anything to help with the welding per say, it just helps to check how things line up. Since they are cracked one would expect that they have seen some abuse and their position may also be in question. Taking things apart several times, well welcome to the world of fabrication/restorations. Doing something that could save some possible extra work is welcomed. Just have to weigh whats more work, before or after the fact.

I ordered the Premium Chrome Export Brace from CJ's while they had their sale going on, but of course, they backordered it.

I have no idea if I am going to have any issues getting the export brace to line up with the shock towers as it is. After the crack is repaired, and the reinforcement plates stiffen things up, I was just afraid it couldn't make the brace installation even more challenging.

However, I need to get this welding done, so I can get the suspension installed. This is my first experience with CJ Pony Parts. Am I in for a long wait?

The welding will not make it more difficult.

The TA brace will make it way more difficult to install the export brace and you will want the brace on there to assure that the tower is in the right place.

Order the brace from someone else if you are worried about the wait

Bob