Sign in to follow this  
rodbrady

Shock Tower Crack

While replacing the suspension on my 69 coupe, I discover a crack (more like a gash) on the inside of the passenger shock tower. It's only on the inside of the tower (fender side). The engine side of the tower doesn't seem to have any damage.

Any thoughts on whether this could be repaired without replacing the shock tower? I'm not a welder, so I'll have to either install the new suspension to take it to a shop, or find someone to come to me.

find a welder man, get a pair of boss reinforcement plates

1368056423_r.jpg

1368056421_w.jpg

Picture031.jpg

my thread http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=14580 ,

tell the welder to continuous join all the tower factory welds

tcp06.jpg

I love what this guy did http://mikes68.blogspot.mx/2012/09/reinforcing-shock-towers.html

or tower reiforcemt kit

image.php?type=P&id=8475

Edited by juit

Where are you located. A member that can weld May be near you

Your tower is cracked and delaminating. It can be fixed but don't delay it.

If you take it to a shop you can put the suspension in and use wood blocks in place of the springs. Then you can trailer it to the shop and have them weld it. Limit the labor they do to save money for yourself.

You can also look at renting elders from the local welding shop

Bob

He's in Houston, Texas. We've got to have a member welder near him I would think.

rodbrady, you can add your location thru the user cp link at the upper left of the page. Then go to your profile and edit it.

Bob

Where are you located. A member that can weld May be near you

Your tower is cracked and delaminating. It can be fixed but don't delay it.

If you take it to a shop you can put the suspension in and use wood blocks in place of the springs. Then you can trailer it to the shop and have them weld it. Limit the labor they do to save money for yourself.

You can also look at renting elders from the local welding shop

Bob

I'm in the Woodlands, Texas (North Houston). It would definitely be helpful to find someone that could do the repair before I apply the undercoating and install the suspension. Even if I were to jump into the world of welding, I don't think that would be a project for a beginner.

With as bad as that shocktower is broken I think I'd replace it. Not really much more work than it's going to take to repair it. And you won't have to worry about it cracking again. If you do decide to weld it, make sure to stop drill both ends of that crack. If you're not familiar with stop drilling cracks, just Google it.

I had a cracked shock tower welded years and years ago when it was my daily driver. It was ugly but held up well. You can have it welded to get you back on the road. If this is a car you're going to keep for a long time and cherish I would put replacing the shock tower on your to-do list.

May have to flip a coin. :-) This is going to be a daily driver for my teenage son, and I'm trying to get it back on the road by the end of the year, when he gets his regular license. Our goal is to get the car driving better and safer (suspension/steering/brakes), looking good (paint/wheels/tires/some interior), running cool (a/c - we live in Houston) and rust protected. The engine and tranny were rebuilt 5 years ago, so I'm not planning to do much there for the moment. We are trying to do as much of the work ourselves, other than the body & paint work.

Part of the decision regarding the shock tower might be answered by this question: can it be replaced with the engine in the car?

^plus 1^

If you are not putting a hi hp engine in there: reinforce the tower & stiffen up your front chasis with a reinforced crossmember, 1 piece strut tower brace and straight montecarlo bar, do a continuous weld on the factory welds, buy tower & BOSS plates, a hole on each end of the crack that will hold that crack forever.

if you have a experienced welder member near you call him he will give you the best option because he will look the problem in person instead of pictures

P.S. you also need to do this on the other side because the other tower is prolly stressed too

Edited by juit

The engine will have to come out to properly replace the tower. The problem is that the engine may have to come out to repair the existing tower depending on how bad the engine side if it looks

Bob

I haven't found any damage on the engine side of the tower. At this point, I'm leaning toward repairing the tower, but as juit said, I'd like to find an experienced welder to come take a look at it in person.

I found a local welder who will come to my house to repair the crack on my shock tower, as well as weld in the shock tower reinforcement plates. He quoted me $275. Does that sound reasonable?

Well, good news! The guy just texted me after I sent him pictures of the crack and an example of the Boss reinforcement plate welding and said he would only charge $200, so I'm going for it. Glad to get this done while I have the front suspension off.