Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Aftermarket hoods

I picked up one of the std hoods from CJs, pn HD4. It was in their scratch and dent pile so it was cheap. Good thing too because it looks to be a piece of crap.

Once I go it home I tried fitting the hood edge trim to the front of it. It doesn't even come close to matching up with an original. Almost looks like the center line of the hood is off by about an inch or so. I should be able to beat on it with a hammer to correct how the front edge is folded, but... Had I not come across this one for the ridiculous price I'd have gone Ford tooling or used. My hood wasn't salvageable .

Anybody running aftermarket hoods and how did you find the fit.

Im also considering the fiberglass cowl hood that CJ's sell so if anybody is using that id be interested in how that fits also.

If you do a search with the words repo hood you will find a few threads on hoods that may help some.

Dave

I just got a new dynacorn hood. I put it on and it fits great.....the only problem is that it is for a '70 (it has the oval holes on the underside for the twist-locks). I am trying to unload it and find a correct hood for '69.

Dave

If you were local I'd buy it from you.

I need a 70 hood.

Sounds like someone didn't prime and block it before they painted it.

exactly, they probably thought it was ready for paint and decided to spray and save time.

i'd take it back and have them block it and re-spray it or have someone else do it.

Yea, I personally find working with fiberglass hoods is easier and done right they look just as nice.

The 67 Shelby im working on turned out really nice.

After adding 1/8" on the sides and back to get the gap nice using a special filler made specifically for corvettes and then high build n block, then once again, turned out nice.

Not wavy at all.

IMG_20140826_115125946_HDR_zps8884b77e.jpg

IMG_20140826_115136050_HDR_zps0ad731f4.jpg

IMG_20140826_115147137_HDR_zpsb2f0f6e8.jpg

IMG_20140826_115202107_HDR_zpsd72298c3.jpg