Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you install the Radiator support to Hood Seal

I want to install the rubber seal that goes on top of the radiator support. It comes with staples just like the ones used on the window door felt (whiskers).

I assume but not sure that you have to drill 2 holes for each staple, what a Pain in the A__. I wonder if there are clips that do the same.

There is a lip on one side, does it point up or down. Does the lip face the front or back. There is also a groove in the lip, IMO I think it goes along the edge of the rad support facing back.

Which is right and pictures would be GREAT.

Brian Conway- I know you have one installed, can you send a picture of it.

Thanks Guys!

Some of the earlier Mustangs used clips to attach rather than staples and that might be the way to go. I used the staples. I used a very small 1/32" or so drill bit and went through the rubber and the radiator support at the same time. Used a staple for a pattern/template and dimpled the rubber first. Then put the staple through the rubber and metal and bent/crimped with needle nose pliers. My car came with the seal originally and I put the new staples approximately where the originals were. Trying to use the original staple holes was more than I was willing to do. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

Thanks Brian I knew you would come through!!!! Your the Man!

I see you extended the seal past the hood pins. It is my understanding that the seal was cut about an inch from the pins. Is there a reason why you did what you did. Also, I have hood pins as well, how did you make a hole w/o cutting up the rubber.

BTW, I caught your write up on (I think) Mustang Monthly. Good Job!

Buckeye- NO. The former PO's most of banged the Rad support while pulling motors in and out. I tried to straighten w/ no luck. The Seal would cover up those sins for a car show.

From my understanding, ONLY Big Blocks had it and it kept the air from flowing over top to the motor. I would think air getting to the motor would be ok, but the thought is to keep the flow to the radiator.

Edited by prayers1

The seal prevents air from going over the top of the radiator, used mostly on big blocks, don't remember seeing them on small blocks. My 69 still has the original seal. the lip goes towards the rear and over the back of the radiator support. The staples should go through the break point on top of the seal but the factory ones were rarely in the right place, mine being perfect examples. Brian's pictures are good examples but I've never seen an original Metuchen built seal go past the hood pins.

The 65-66 cars had this seal and it was generally for AC and the extra cooling towing options. Those cars sometimes used the clips rather than the staples. I ran the seal out to the ends on my car because that is where the staple holes ended. I used a utility knife and cut pie shapes in the rubber for the latch pins and then trimmed to fit the latch pin. Not a writer so not me. Brian