Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Have you entered you car in a Car Show?

I was thinking of entering mine. I haven't been to many personally, so I really don't know what to do or what to bring. How did you stage your car.

Did you bring a board w/ before and after photos, a short story, did you put all 4 wheels under a piece of carpet. Where the front wheels park straight or turned, did you take off one wheel.

How about sitting and the blaring sun, what did you do, a cooler some drinks.

What about your belongings and tools normally stuffed in the trunk, what to do with that.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I entered mine in a few. At the shows I've been to, they will tell you where to park. My car was for sale, so I had a board telling the history of the car as I knew it and what I had done to it. I had a two tool bags, and they slid under the seats. I brought a drink, and most of the show I would walk around and talk to other car owners who had cars at the show. I have a small canopy that I could put up if need be and put a chair under it.

We enter the local shows and did enter the MCA National show in Lincoln last weekend. Most shows will direct you where to park If it's a judged show having your car clean is the most important thing. Most local shows allow a display although some do not want it on or in the car, I have one with a little history of the car. MCA mational shows do not allow displays. Usually leave the wheels straight and haven't seen anyone take a wheel off. Usually have hood and trunk open. We have chairs with a canopy (great for sunny days), and place any tools and cleaning supplies out of the way by our chairs. The most repeated advice we giot when we started showing was have it clean. Above all enjoy the show and make new friends, lots of great car guys out there.

Depends on the show and personal preferences. I am a crabby old man that does shows that have up to 12,000 cars for the better part of 30 years, so I have seen a lot. I can share the things that really annoy me at shows:

Somebody with a 302/C4 Mustang that has the big sign board that screams "Numbers Matching!" Well, Ford numbers don't match, and nobody cares if a powertrain that common matches or not.

Time out dolls.

Dog peeing on tire dolls.

Fake drive in restaurant trays of food on the windows.

Stuffed animals anywhere in the display. Most common is the Coyote in Road Runners. I get that the Road Runner has the most boring interior in the history of cars, but still.

Model cars on the air filter. Any model that is basically the exact same thing as the car you are looking at, for that matter.

Armor All residue in the pavement right where your car sits. Armor All your tires down the block, it looks stupid if you do it where you are parked.

Wal-Mart Radiator caps.

Shows that insist on playing 50 music. If I hear Chantilly Lace one more time......

People who paint their front brake drums bright colors to display to the world that they have the crappiest brakes possible.

Mint brake boosters with rusty master cylinders bolted to them.

Any wiring loom wraps that draw attention to the wiring harness.

Engine blocks painted yellow.

People who set up a KOA campground around their car. There has become a culture that has morphed out of car shows where people just set up a campground. It got so bad here in Mpls that people were setting up lawnchairs in the lot at legendary Porky's Drive through. It's a damn business predicated on turning people over, and people are driving tent stakes. Simply retarded.

People who only open their hood a little way, like two feet, so you have to bend over to see inside. Either open your hood or don't. Halfway is just dumb. And my back hates it.

OK, not that that is all out, here are the things I like:

Build books showing the resto in a spot where people can pick it up and thumb through it.

While I want people to walk the show and expand their own horizons, it really is nice when the owner is nearby for a chat. And sadly, the lawn chairs are part of that, but I will take the good with the bad.

Marti Reports. I love love love Marti Reports.

It's all about the car, and you. Anything you have that contributes to that, it's all good in the hood. Signs, stories, anything that contributes to that is good.

OK, that's enough for now, may think of more later.

Max Power,

Amen to time outs, dogs, stuffed animals and Armor All. Especially Armor All, in fact no Armor All at all. I do have a stuffed baby seal to put in front of a rear tire. You and Danno should come to the Performance Ford Club of Minnesota show on Sunday Sept. 13th. It's held at Roseville Midway Ford, a few miles north on Snelling from the fairgrounds. Spectators free. Cars I think $10. I'll be there doing something.icon10.gif

Depends on the show and personal preferences. I am a crabby old man that does shows that have up to 12,000 cars for the better part of 30 years, so I have seen a lot. I can share the things that really annoy me at shows:

Somebody with a 302/C4 Mustang that has the big sign board that screams "Numbers Matching!" Well, Ford numbers don't match, and nobody cares if a powertrain that common matches or not.

Time out dolls.

Dog peeing on tire dolls.

Fake drive in restaurant trays of food on the windows.

Stuffed animals anywhere in the display. Most common is the Coyote in Road Runners. I get that the Road Runner has the most boring interior in the history of cars, but still.

Model cars on the air filter. Any model that is basically the exact same thing as the car you are looking at, for that matter.

Armor All residue in the pavement right where your car sits. Armor All your tires down the block, it looks stupid if you do it where you are parked.

Wal-Mart Radiator caps.

Shows that insist on playing 50 music. If I hear Chantilly Lace one more time......

People who paint their front brake drums bright colors to display to the world that they have the crappiest brakes possible.

Mint brake boosters with rusty master cylinders bolted to them.

Any wiring loom wraps that draw attention to the wiring harness.

Engine blocks painted yellow.

People who set up a KOA campground around their car. There has become a culture that has morphed out of car shows where people just set up a campground. It got so bad here in Mpls that people were setting up lawnchairs in the lot at legendary Porky's Drive through. It's a damn business predicated on turning people over, and people are driving tent stakes. Simply retarded.

People who only open their hood a little way, like two feet, so you have to bend over to see inside. Either open your hood or don't. Halfway is just dumb. And my back hates it.

OK, not that that is all out, here are the things I like:

Build books showing the resto in a spot where people can pick it up and thumb through it.

While I want people to walk the show and expand their own horizons, it really is nice when the owner is nearby for a chat. And sadly, the lawn chairs are part of that, but I will take the good with the bad.

Marti Reports. I love love love Marti Reports.

It's all about the car, and you. Anything you have that contributes to that, it's all good in the hood. Signs, stories, anything that contributes to that is good.

OK, that's enough for now, may think of more later.

Amen!

Also, displaying your original jack and set of tools. I remember walking by a corvette guy (and I'm one) and he had his spare tire out from under his car with his tools all displayed....

to each their own.

Enjoy the show.

Max Power,

Amen to time outs, dogs, stuffed animals and Armor All. Especially Armor All, in fact no Armor All at all. I do have a stuffed baby seal to put in front of a rear tire. You and Danno should come to the Performance Ford Club of Minnesota show on Sunday Sept. 13th. It's held at Roseville Midway Ford, a few miles north on Snelling from the fairgrounds. Spectators free. Cars I think $10. I'll be there doing something.icon10.gif

Was that the show that used to be at Apple Valley Ford, the one other than the Shelby show? If so I thought it got cancelled? Anyhoo, that is sandwiched between two business trip, so I just might be able to get to that one. Those shows at Midway are always a manageable size, so it doesn't fill a day.

Agree with what others have said, especially about cleanliness. If there is a water bottle or wrappers or anything just laying in the car, or obvious dirt and junk in the engine bay, then it's not going to do well.

And anytime I come across a car with the hood closed, I always assume it's because what's underneath is so embarrassingly bad they didn't want it seen. In popular vote shows, they never get my vote, no matter how nice the outside is.

-Mike

OK, all good advise.

In regards to my build, not even close to numbers matching. It's more like I made it what I wanted. I changed to a bigger motor, AOD trans, disc/manual brakes, different interior etc... You can catch glimpse on my aviator. When new it was lime green with std interior, I purchased it primer red.

This will be my first enter, I'm think just having a clean car to begin with. I'll be driving it a 1/2 hr away and wonder how am I gonna clean the road & exhaust residue off.

I was thinking a few, not too many before and after pictures and a short paragraph of what's in it.

I was thinking of entering mine. I haven't been to many personally, so I really don't know what to do or what to bring. How did you stage your car.

Well, when I was younger I didn't have any pics of the build or had any posters to show off, etc... it was just simply drive to the show and make the car look presentable. I would clean the car inside out the day before and the day of show I would detail some areas I feel like I missed or just do a quick touch up. Also, I would have "do not touch" signs everywhere, IDK but I've seen ppl open Hoods, car doors, sat down in them acting like its dealer ship and owners would get really upset. so always have a "Do Not Touch" Sign visible.

Did you bring a board w/ before and after photos, a short story, did you put all 4 wheels under a piece of carpet. Where the front wheels park straight or turned, did you take off one wheel.

I never did have a photo album of the build, though it was always a huge plus if judges were around looking at your car. I never placed Carpets under the tire or used mirrors to show the under carriage. I always had the wheels straight, never took off a wheel to show my suspension. I felt like that was doing too much, less is more imo.

How about sitting and the blaring sun, what did you do, a cooler some drinks.

if your in a group bring those portable tents & chairs, sun tan lotion, sun glasses & comfortable clothing. its always nice to bring some entertainment with you to to keep your self from getting bored too. Food & Drink is a plus. I always had fun when I'm with a group especially if you meet up prior before show so you can cruise it to the show and park the cars together.

What about your belongings and tools normally stuffed in the trunk, what to do with that.

I always had my belongings in the Trunk, Never showed off my trunk.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

if you're in a show that has judges, its always good to introduce yourself when they see your car. also, have a back story on how you acquired the car and what did you do it, specs. etc. also, ppl will come by and talk to you and ask you questions about the car, take photos but most of all, enjoy the show!

:I haven't been to a show lately but Im sure somethings have changed. I've been really itching' to take my car out but there are rarely shows now in the Bay Area. if there are its usually far away from me and my car club that I was in is no more. :( so I'm basically a refugee right now, lol. I would love to start a mustang meetup in the bay area, but too lazy to start one.. lol

lol @ Max_Power Amen, I never liked seeing those things. your bound to find a guy that goes over the top for no reason, and still doesn't win 1st place at the car shows. its hilarious...its the typical sterotype car show guy. but to each his own, I just never wanted to be flashy. if you like my car, good if not, oh well.

OK, all good advise.

In regards to my build, not even close to numbers matching. It's more like I made it what I wanted. I changed to a bigger motor, AOD trans, disc/manual brakes, different interior etc... You can catch glimpse on my aviator. When new it was lime green with std interior, I purchased it primer red.

This will be my first enter, I'm think just having a clean car to begin with. I'll be driving it a 1/2 hr away and wonder how am I gonna clean the road & exhaust residue off.

I was thinking a few, not too many before and after pictures and a short paragraph of what's in it.

All you need is your car, a chair, and a few detailing supplies and that's it. Forget all the other stuff, its nothing more than people begging for attention. Let your car speak for itself.

A good detailing spray and a micro fiber is all you need to touch up the car once you get to the show.

There are a lot of politics as shows. If its a show that judges based on a points system and puts cars into classes, I have found those are the best kind. Shows where it's driver's choice or spectator's choice are some of the worst. All of the regulars buddy up and vote for each others cars and even get all of their friends to show up as spectators to pad their votes. You'd be surprised what people will do to win a $5 trophy.

Was that the show that used to be at Apple Valley Ford, the one other than the Shelby show? If so I thought it got cancelled? Anyhoo, that is sandwiched between two business trip, so I just might be able to get to that one. Those shows at Midway are always a manageable size, so it doesn't fill a day.

Ours has never been at Apple Valley. I think the one you could be thinking off is now at Valley Ford in Shakopee and it is this Sunday.

You'd be surprised what people will do to win a $5 trophy.

I am actually surprised that people even care about trophies in the first place. When I see politics at local shows I say "You idiots just knock yourselves out backslapping each other".

I never have any interest in trophies and usually enter in the "not judged" category. Saves everybody a lot of time.

Ours has never been at Apple Valley. I think the one you could be thinking off is now at Valley Ford in Shakopee and it is this Sunday.

Did not know that, thanks. Is there more than one show at Midway? I always thought is was more a spring show. Maybe my memory is really fuzzy.