rusty428cj

1969 Mach 1 Restoration

This is a beautiful build. I wonder about the economics of the built though. I see more than $17k of parts and labor that was conducted with considerable project risk. I quote $17k as the cost of a Dynacorn replacement body which would get you to the same point.

Can you break down the value fo the car prior to starting the project, the cost of parts used, materials used, and the number of hours invested in labour and the skill set of that labour?

I would like to see an indication of these such that some random person finding this online would consider what they are getting into before they buy a "cheap" car and they think they can restore it.

There is a car advertised near me which would require at least this level of repair. The owner thinks the car is worth $10k and that the restoration would only cost a few grand. He thinks the car would be worth $20k if $5k was invested, thus justifying his $10k asking price. I think he is delusional and that the work would cost $40k with the car being worth $20k at the end, making it now worth... less.

Edited by Fantastic

This is a beautiful build. I wonder about the economics of the built though. I see more than $17k of parts and labor that was conducted with considerable project risk. I quote $17k as the cost of a Dynacorn replacement body which would get you to the same point.

Can you break down the value fo the car prior to starting the project, the cost of parts used, materials used, and the number of hours invested in labour and the skill set of that.

You obviously don't understand. You will never get what you put into a car out of it. These things are done for the pure joy, love and passion of it. If you start questioning the economics of it, your in the wrong hobby.

The car that's being restored is an actual 1969 mustang. It has a lot of replacement parts but still retains the heart and soul of a Ford mustang. As far as I'm concerned a Dynacorn body is just a bunch of sheet metal that "looks" like a mustang. I'm sure some will disagree with me...

Can you break down the value fo the car prior to starting the project, the cost of parts used, materials used, and the number of hours invested in labour and the skill set of that.

You obviously don't understand. You will never get what you put into a car out of it. These things are done for the pure joy, love and passion of it. If you start questioning the economics of it, your in the wrong hobby.

The car that's being restored is an actual 1969 mustang. It has a lot of replacement parts but still retains the heart and soul of a Ford mustang. As far as I'm concerned a Dynacorn body is just a bunch of sheet metal that "looks" like a mustang. I'm sure some will disagree with me...

I think the concern and question was totally relevant. Yes, it's a "real" '69 Mustang, but it's pretty much "just" a Mustang by the same token. Unless it is wrapped in sentimental value (which is a perfectly good reason) or has an especially outstanding pedigree (which it does not), this extent of a build like this gets very dodgy to justify.

Once you are this deep in a build, it starts to look like an exercise is "just-because-we-can" and, for some, that's fine too. Every resto and/or custom shop faces this scenario at one time or another and I only hope that the owner understood the full menu of build options and the full scope of the implications of getting this deep in a car or there will be an awful hateful taste left in his/her mouth by the time it's all over and nobody needs that.

It's a very fine line between building up a tub starting with a (Ford-Licensed) Dynacorn replacement body and building one from Dynacorn bits & pieces to be the same thing. All potential legal intricacies aside, the biggest variable is HUGE labor dollars that are very hard to pin down at the beginning of such a project. Scary stuff.

I think the concern and question was totally relevant. Yes, it's a "real" '69 Mustang, but it's pretty much "just" a Mustang by the same token. Unless it is wrapped in sentimental value (which is a perfectly good reason) or has an especially outstanding pedigree (which it does not), this extent of a build like this gets very dodgy to justify.

Once you are this deep in a build, it starts to look like an exercise is "just-because-we-can" and, for some, that's fine too. Every resto and/or custom shop faces this scenario at one time or another and I only hope that the owner understood the full menu of build options and the full scope of the implications of getting this deep in a car or there will be an awful hateful taste left in his/her mouth by the time it's all over and nobody needs that.

It's a very fine line between building up a tub starting with a (Ford-Licensed) Dynacorn replacement body and building one from Dynacorn bits & pieces to be the same thing. All potential legal intricacies aside, the biggest variable is HUGE labor dollars that are very hard to pin down at the beginning of such a project. Scary stuff.

I think I understand quite well. I built a '69 fastback body that started off in as bad condition as this and I did it so that I could build one rather than buy one. Perhaps YOU don't understand. This site is often read by people who have not done this and are thinking about it. I would like those people to know more about what they are getting into. I think if I had know how much it was going to cost I might have reconsidered. I think if I had known what to look for, I might have started with a different car for the project. Too many people think they can buy a cheap car and invest some sweat equity which will pay off in a beautiful car at the end. Those days are over.

So... the very relevant questions to assist the readers of this forum. What did you (the reader) estimate the value of the car at the beginning of the project based on those photos posted? $5k? $10k? How many hours do you think have been invested in this project to get a top quality body like this? Do you have those skills? If not, how much will it cost to hire someone who does? What do you think the value of the parts and materials has been so far to get this car to this point? If you add up all of those estimates, I suspect you are far off the actual price tag.

Now... regardless of why you do this, your time and effort and skill is still worth money. Sure you love it. I am not saying you don't. What I am saying is that the base car that was used to start the project may have been overvalued because buyers and sellers of project cars undervalue the cost of that time and effort, and certainly the cost of the parts and materials.

This is a great hobby. Is it only for the rich guys? I hope not.

I had a chat with a friend last night. He was disheartened because he bought a project car that turned out to be beyond his skills and he ended up loosing a lot of money. He bought another project car and is sinking everything he has into his dream of owning a '69 Mustang. In support of that dream he reads build threads like this one. He thinks he can do it. I hope he can. I think it would be socially concious to support him and readers like him by divulging and discussing the cost of a project like this.

If you say the cost doesn't matter, then you are wrong. Cost always matters and should be part of the discussion. If you think that I 'obviously' don't understand, then read this all again and think about it.

Edited by Fantastic

I think I understand quite well. I built a '69 fastback body that started off in as bad condition as this and I did it so that I could build one rather than buy one. Perhaps YOU don't understand. This site is often read by people who have not done this and are thinking about it. I would like those people to know more about what they are getting into. I think if I had know how much it was going to cost I might have reconsidered. I think if I had known what to look for, I might have started with a different car for the project. Too many people think they can buy a cheap car and invest some sweat equity which will pay off in a beautiful car at the end. Those days are over.

So... the very relevant questions to assist the readers of this forum. What did you (the reader) estimate the value of the car at the beginning of the project based on those photos posted? $5k? $10k? How many hours do you think have been invested in this project to get a top quality body like this? Do you have those skills? If not, how much will it cost to hire someone who does? What do you think the value of the parts and materials has been so far to get this car to this point? If you add up all of those estimates, I suspect you are far off the actual price tag.

Now... regardless of why you do this, your time and effort and skill is still worth money. Sure you love it. I am not saying you don't. What I am saying is that the base car that was used to start the project may have been overvalued because buyers and sellers of project cars undervalue the cost of that time and effort, and certainly the cost of the parts and materials.

This is a great hobby. Is it only for the rich guys? I hope not.

I had a chat with a friend last night. He was disheartened because he bought a project car that turned out to be beyond his skills and he ended up loosing a lot of money. He bought another project car and is sinking everything he has into his dream of owning a '69 Mustang. In support of that dream he reads build threads like this one. He thinks he can do it. I hope he can. I think it would be socially concious to support him and readers like him by divulging and discussing the cost of a project like this.

If you say the cost doesn't matter, then you are wrong. Cost always matters and should be part of the discussion. If you think that I 'obviously' don't understand, then read this all again and think about it.

Edited by Fantastic

Both rockers panels had a little rust at the back.

On the left side Brian cut out the damaged area and started welding in a patch from a new outer rocker.

DSCN9767_zps08666682.jpg

It was easier to do it in two pieces

DSCN9771_zps6900e0cf.jpg

The rust wasn't as bad on the right side

DSCN9780_zps853dd1ae.jpg

DSCN9781_zps93321a15.jpg

Both rockers panels had a little rust at the back.

On the left side Brian cut out the damaged area and started welding in a patch from a new outer rocker.

DSCN9767_zps08666682.jpg

It was easier to do it in two pieces

DSCN9771_zps6900e0cf.jpg

The rust wasn't as bad on the right side

DSCN9780_zps853dd1ae.jpg

DSCN9781_zps93321a15.jpg

Sprayed primer before the patch is welded in place

DSCN9906_zps49c2e8db.jpg

DSCN0017_zpsf387d26c.jpg

The welds were ground down and filled with duraglass

DSCN0021_zpsd3fe4cc7.jpg

The new sheetmetal that had not been epoxy primed before was sanded to bare metal

DSCN0042_zpsc045f972.jpg

Two coats of SPI red oxide epoxy primer. It is darker than the photos

DSCN0053_zps4f55f346.jpg