rusty428cj

1969 Mach 1 Restoration

This 1969 Mach 1 was bought new by the current owners Aunt who was a school teacher in West Virginia. It has a 351 with a 3 speed manual transmission. The current owner bought it in 1992.

Looks pretty good in the photo.

image1_zpsd9c50984.jpeg

Around 10 years ago he quit driving it when he noticed this rust around the power steering bracket. He did tell me a few years ago he did take it out for a short drive.

image4_zps16aa9034.jpeg

The owner starting taking it apart and had it delivered to us.

DSCN7572_zps50ef5369.jpg

I noticed around the quarter scoop hole that something was going on. It looked like they had put a quarter patch on. This is what we found. They had a quarter skin over the original rusted out quarter panel.

DSCN8738_zpsc34a15b4.jpg

Rusty it's great to have you bring this project over here !! Can't wait to see your guys great work here. Amazing what people do when working on their cars, body or mechanical. That has to be one of the better ones though ! I haven't looked on there yet ( SPIusers forum) but would imagine you're going to us SPI products ? So what are the plans for this one ? Good luck !

Edited by stangnet33
spell

This is inside one of the shock towers

DSCN7757_zps7c61a9f6.jpg

Since the floor and frame rails were so bad we ordered this from Thoroughbred.

DSCN7997_zps5963c8bb.jpg

Dynacorn parts that have come in

DSCN8773_zpsce05579a.jpg

We made a jig with the stock suspension points and correct dimensions to build the car on.

DSCN8782_zps2f8ba395.jpg

The inner rocker was removed and the inside of the outer rocker panel was epoxy primed

DSCN8833_zpsaa1027fe.jpg

DSCN8836_zps2d207bd2.jpg

The Thoroughbred floor was mounted on our jig and rolled under the body. Jacks were used on both ends. Once everything was level the body was attached with sheetmetal screws to the new floor.

DSCN8848_zps631fe635.jpg

DSCN8850_zpse84f7d21.jpg

The old inner wheelhouses were left in place to keep the inner structure together and a reference point to line up the floor.

DSCN8849_zps8db1c305.jpg

We were surprised to find no rust in the cowl

DSCN8859_zps93d16cf6.jpg

The cowl was sanded and epoxy primed

DSCN8885_zps1968fe66.jpg

DSCN8908_zpsed19711c.jpg

While the work here is typically awesome stuff from Rusty and his guys, I can't make ANY sense of why anyone would tear into a car this deep when there is no particular pedigree to it. There are MUCH better cars out there to start with that would be far less work and end up being equal to, or better finish quality and value in the end. Makes my head spin, but more power to 'em!

wow, my shelby isnt close to that bad for rust, and a normal fastback like mine wouldnt get done around here. there are still some fb's out in fields that need floors, and a 428scj fb that i have my eye on that has been hit hard in the pass door.

While the work here is typically awesome stuff from Rusty and his guys, I can't make ANY sense of why anyone would tear into a car this deep when there is no particular pedigree to it. There are MUCH better cars out there to start with that would be far less work and end up being equal to, or better finish quality and value in the end. Makes my head spin, but more power to 'em!

To a degree I agree. The work and skill level is unbelievable! I wish I had the shop space and equipment to take on a fraction of that! It's a Mach 1 which helps justify the build. This is not the first build I've seen on this site that is this extensive. Again I have to wonder who has the time and budget to take on a project like that. Plus, not much is remaining of the original car. So the end result almost seems like a different car than it was originally. I'm sure the finished car will be like new or better, wow!

Edited by 1969_Mach1

To a degree I agree. The work and skill level is unbelievable! I wish I had the shop space and equipment to take on a fraction of that! It's a Mach 1 which helps justify the build. This is not the first build I've seen on this site that is this extensive. Again I have to wonder who has the time and budget to take on a project like that. Plus, not much is remaining of the original car. So the end result almost seems like a different car than it was originally. I'm sure the finished car will be like new or better, wow!

Yes sir! At the end of the day, I am just glad another old Mustang is getting saved from the crusher and done right. With just about every other liberty we enjoy under attack, anything that keeps the passion alive in another enthusiast is a good game in my book!

The old inner wheelhouse was removed

DSCN9547_zps725e22d5.jpg

New one was screwed in place

DSCN9555_zps943097dc.jpg

Lining up the front end

DSCN9554_zps5050f2df.jpg

Test fitting the quarter panels

DSCN9566_zps956e6c8c.jpg

Brian is attaching the taillight panel with screws

DSCN9585_zpscf920f12.jpg

DSCN9597_zpsce68ea5b.jpg

The sheetmetal is lining up great almost ready to start welding.

DSCN9601_zps2e1e183f.jpg

It takes a lot of plug welds to weld the cowl back on. The frame is also welded to the floor pan frame extensions.

DSCN9621_zpsccd3df18.jpg

DSCN9622_zps4ebeb515.jpg

DSCN9623_zps38d5bbc0.jpg

Left side inner torque box screwed in place

DSCN9683_zps96fb06ac.jpg

Right side inner torque box welded in place

DSCN9694_zpse49db824.jpg

Outer torque box welded in place

DSCN9691_zps3b3a0453.jpg

DSCN9692_zps62230e10.jpg