jacob1969

The ever popular dash guage problem

Basically nothing works in the dash guage area. None of the gauges, and none of the lights for the gauages. The only thing that does work, is the light warning me to fasten my seatbelt. It is on another line and not part of the cluster. I have replaced the circuit map and voltage regulator to no n effect. I have also changed every bulb and new wiring for the temp and oil pressure sensor. What is meant by" pins are not grounded out on the metal case. " any ideas???

You need a volt and ohm meter to start troubleshooting this. If you have one, I can walk you through the steps to figure it out. If you do not have one, you should buy one. They are a cheap enough investment in a handy tool

The radio works great, am is the best!!!! When I replaced the circuit map and voltage regulator, I did not notice any damage to either, they just looked as old as me. I went ahead and used a test light on the cluster plug. If you number the connections 1 thru 7 on the left (#2 is empty), and 8-14 on the right the results are: with the motor running and the lights on: #6,8,9,10,14 would light up. Unfortunately I do not know what each of these correspond to. When I first bought the car 12 years ago, I believe all the gauges worked. I must admit that she has been setting untouched for about 6 years. Also, I have now discovered that my horn doesn't work either. Summary is as follows: absolutely none of the dash gauges or lights in the guages work; except the one telling me to fasten my seat belt, and now the horn has taken a crap. Any help would be super awesome

Your #6 is for brake warning light power

Your #8 is ammeter

Your #9 is ammeter

Your #10 is high beams

Your #14 is CVR input power.

Your 8-14 may be CVR input power, dash lamps, RH turn signal, and one ammeter line as there's no indication as to where the numbering starts. There are actual pin numbers on the connector. Dash lamps are truly #12.

Most likely a separate problem but I had issues with many of my instrument cluster lights and found it was the flexible circuit board that everything plugs into.

Over the years all the copper connections go dark brown like an old penny.  I used a dremel with a polishing pad and some cutting compound and polished all the connections back to a bright copper look.  Fixed all my problems.  Not one of my globes was actually blown, just many bad connections.  

13 hours ago, Dean said:

Most likely a separate problem but I had issues with many of my instrument cluster lights and found it was the flexible circuit board that everything plugs into.

Over the years all the copper connections go dark brown like an old penny.  I used a dremel with a polishing pad and some cutting compound and polished all the connections back to a bright copper look.  Fixed all my problems.  Not one of my globes was actually blown, just many bad connections.  

I had the same problem but upped 1 by also smearing a bit of electric grease stuff from an electronics shop to make contact. Seems to be OK.

Does anyone know where the actual ground for the instrument lights is located?  I believe it’s the wire coming from connector number 11 on the main plug That plugs into the circuit board

5 hours ago, Blue70 said:

Does anyone know where the actual ground for the instrument lights is located?  I believe it’s the wire coming from connector number 11 on the main plug That plugs into the circuit board

It depends upon whether you have a tach or not in the dash.  Non-tach car grounds are pin 8; tach dash cars are pin 4. 

You may be confusing pin 11 on non-tach dashs with a combination violet and black wire: this is actually the CVR power input line with a violet resistor wire. 

Ok thanks for sending back, Midlife. I don’t have a tach but I guess I should have asked it a different way.  I want to make sure those instrument lights ground properly to the dash frame or firewall or wherever but I don’t know exactly where that circuit terminates to ground. In other words I can’t figure out any other reason they don’t work. They recently worked for a while but now they’re out again. I want to take that screw out, clean the ground spot and then screw it back on with hopes it’ll fix the instrument lights once and for all. I’m also open for any other suggestions.  Thanks everybody. Best of health. 

5 hours ago, Midlife said:

1970's have multiple ground points: one at the passenger side where relays are located, another near the headlight switch.  It could be your circuit card is damaged as well.

In Ok thanks for sending back, Midlife. I don’t have a tach but I guess I should have asked it a different way.  I want to make sure those instrument lights ground properly to the dash frame or firewall or wherever but I don’t know exactly where that circuit terminates to ground. In other words I can’t figure out any other reason they don’t work. They recently worked for a while but now they’re out again. I want to take that screw out, clean the ground spot and then screw it back on with hopes it’ll fix the instrument lights once and for all. I’m also open for any other suggestions.  Thanks everybody. Best of health. 

Dash cluster bulbs have two traces each on the circuit card: a signal and a ground.  More than likely one or the other traces are not making good contact with the dash cluster pin or the trace is broken somewhere.