Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

World Class T-5 Tranny

Not a T5 or T5 world class Expert so hopefully someone with first hand experience will chime in.

That being said, I think the trans tunnel mods are necessary when working with the TKO 500/ TKO 600. The T5 and world class T5 should have the same case and a T5 needs no tunnel mods

You don't have to mod the trans tunnel for a T5, just for the TKO. That said, you will be lucky if you make it out of the driveway with that T5 behind a 390 big block. You really need to go TKO for the FE. The hp / tq ratings for any T5 (z spec, cobra, world class) are nowhere near the levels (particularly torque) that your 390 will put out.

You don't have to mod the trans tunnel for a T5, just for the TKO. That said, you will be lucky if you make it out of the driveway with that T5 behind a 390 big block. You really need to go TKO for the FE. The hp / tq ratings for any T5 (z spec, cobra, world class) are nowhere near the levels (particularly torque) that your 390 will put out.

Not all TKOs! My TKO 600, modified by Modern Driveline, fits GREAT! Just did the swap yesterday.

Edited by Powershift

Not all TKOs! My TKO 600, modified by Modern Driveline, fits GREAT! Just did the sawp yesterday.

You should of done a thread or could you ? There are a few on here that in the near future are putting in or thinking about installing a TKO.

Keisler RS600 required tunnel mods, a 6"x3" trim job. The new trans mount and trans alignment caused the engine to droop back 1/2" to 1". How do I know this? When I closed the hood, it scraped the shaker. Could it be eliminated - yes, but it required realignment of the motor mounts and after waiting 9 months for the trans it was going in ASAP

Advice: Check, ask and all questions re: geometry / alignment before and after, changes ie. tunnel trim, motor mount shift, drive shaft etc...

My TKO fit without modfication either. Not sure why, but it was out of the box stock, even used my stock trans cross member, modified slightly to fit around the bottom of the TKO. Now it is tight, but it fits.

You should of done a thread or could you ? There are a few on here that in the near future are putting in or thinking about installing a TKO.

I have a project thread, and will update it with some trans stuff later.

The TKO 600 had new top covers made by Modern Driveline, as well as the relocated shifter to align with the hole in the floorpan. Along with the trans, I also got a new trans cross member from Modern Driveline. Everything fit with plenty of room. A hydraulic clutch, with external slave cyl, took the place of the original Ford Z-bar setup too.

The TKO 600 had new top covers made by Modern Driveline, as well as the relocated shifter to align with the hole in the floorpan. Along with the trans, I also got a new trans cross member from Modern Driveline. Everything fit with plenty of room. A hydraulic clutch, with external slave cyl, took the place of the original Ford Z-bar setup too.

I am very much looking forward to your updates on your TKO swap! C'mon! :thumbup1:

new stuff eh? Pls show us! i am wondering how they look. I've been on the fence with Modern Driveline. lol

That would be great, look forward to it - Thx !