Sign in to follow this  
Wycked69

69 Woodgrain Inst. Panel & Clock Panel

Okay, So I thought I would try my hand at refurbishing the wood grain instrument panel and clock panel for the 69 Mach I. If any of you recall, a few months ago I was asking around as to the best method for stripping the old wood grain material off of the metal. I tried a number of the suggestions and wound up just using a good ole' heat gun and patience. After a couple hours each, I manage to remove the old covering.

I bead blasted the metals panels, sanded with some 250 and primed the back side with etching primer. Any surface that would be recovered was covered with 2-coats of the 3M primer for the DI-NOC. All edges were them treated with the 3M Tape edge sealer. Once dry, I commenced to applying the DI-NOC. Instrument panel first.

This was my first try but I think I did okay. No bubbles, no blemishes. I even rolled the edges over in the openings to help insure the covering would not separate.

The "ripple" you see on parts of the back side edge is reflective of the sheet metal itself and not a matter of the covering being adhered. It is "stuck Well"

The clock panel took me two try's. The first one went well until I chased a small air bubble around in the pocketed emblem area. I got to aggressive with the heat gun and the air bubble burst through due to hot air. So I stripped and did it again.

I think they turned out quite nice. no blemishes or air bubbles anywhere. I think for a novice, I did okay.

Edited by Wycked69

Wycked69

That looks great. I'm saving this thread for when I get to this stage on my car.

Again awesome job. Did you cross cut the holes for the clock and gauges? or how did you open them to get a smooth roll around the lip?

Looks great. I heat mine in the oven (10 mins~) and then scrape and apply aircraft remover for the stubborn glue. I also pre-cut some small holes under the emblem area so you can push the trapped air out. It's all under the emblem which has holes for the studs anyway.

Wycked69

That looks great. I'm saving this thread for when I get to this stage on my car.

Again awesome job. Did you cross cut the holes for the clock and gauges? or how did you open them to get a smooth roll around the lip?

Thanks Guy's. I posted this not to get a pat on the back but to show that if I can do it, anybody can do it.

No I did not cross cut the large holes (only the small mounting holes). Once I got the face covered and pulled around to the back, sealed and trimmed along the edge, I cut one hole at a time about an 1" from the edge of the opening. I then heated and worked it into the ID of the hole and creased the edge against the back edge of the hole. Then its like a drum head with a hole in it and stiff due to being previously heated (warmed only) and stretched. I then take scissors and cut about 3/6" from the edge of the hole and then warming and using my thumb and fingers, rolled it over the back.

That's all it took. Its really not hard, just take your time and don't get it too warm.

Edited by Wycked69

This thread made my day. These parts are so far down on my list of what my car needs that I haven't even looked into them. I did inspect them though and vaguely hoped there was some way to restore mine to looking nice without breaking the bank. I didn't even know there was a such high quality DIY solution for woodgrain replacement. Just knowing that I can at least attempt to make mine look as good as yours came out is a relief. I can now mark one small nagging thing off my worry list and onto the regular old to-do list.

The clock panel took me two try's. The first one went well until I chased a small air bubble around in the pocketed emblem area. I got to aggressive with the heat gun and the air bubble burst through due to hot air. So I stripped and did it again.

A good trick for this is to use a syringe, you can just suck the air bubble out and you will never see the needle hole.