Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Brake pedal support

Yes, the hangers are the same. The pivot on the hanger for the power is higher and closer to the firewall, and the stuff on the pedal for the booster is 5" down from the pivot. The manual has the stud 2" from the pivot.

No they are not

They are close but the power brake support does not have the crimped in nuts to bolt the master cyl in place.

You can use the manual in the power brake application by drilling or knocking out those nuts.

They was I used to do it was to use a die grinder on the engine side to eat away enough of the nut that I could pop the remains out with a screwdriver

Bob

Hopefully just an quick question here with an quick answer.....is a power brake pedal support the same for manual and auto?

:1eye:

Actually, RPM answered your question correctly. The "power Brake" pedal support is the same for both manual transmission set ups and Automatic transmission set ups.

I think Rsanter's comments are referring to if the support was originally non power, then when adding a booster you need to open up the threaded holes of the pedal support bracket so the studs of the booster can be inserted and secured with nuts

Actually, RPM answered your question correctly. The "power Brake" pedal support is the same for both manual transmission set ups and Automatic transmission set ups.

I think Rsanter's comments are referring to if the support was originally non power, then when adding a booster you need to open up the threaded holes of the pedal support bracket so the studs of the booster can be inserted and secured with nuts

That's exaclty what I had to do.

If you need another pedal support I have one that I pulled out of my auto/pb car that you can have. Just pay for shipping. The only marks on the support are the bushings where the clutch would attach. They were ground off a while back before it was decided to return the car to its original build (C-6 auto). My son put in a repro rather than use the original.

Sounds good.

I guess I have another question too. If a car has manual drum brakes.....should the power booster holes be covered up or somehow plugged?

Those are not actually just holes for mounting the power brake booster. They actually are what bolt the rear of the brake pedal support to the firewall from the engine compartment side as well as mount/attach your M/C to the brake pedal support.

If the car is a manual brake set up, the (6) holes you see are 3/8-16 thread. Two of those holes are also used to mount/attach your M/C. All bolts will go in from the engine compartment side at the firewall. However, if the car was a power brake version, then (5) of the (6) holes will be through holes and require washers and hex nuts on the opposite side of the firewall to attach the booster (think of the firewall as being sandwiched between the booster bracket and the brake pedal support bracket). The 6th hole (in the upper right top side area) is what held the booster in place while you apply the nuts from the inside of the car at the firewall.

Edited by Wycked69